GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: 2 stupid questions.... /me prepares to be laughed at

Default 2 stupid questions.... /me prepares to be laughed at

Hey guys,

UK '89 520i (M20) with a problem that several people have said is overfueling due to the engine thinking it's colder than it is, so I'm planning to replace

14 TEMPERATURE SENSOR M12X1,5 1 13621709966 (blue plug)

- should I also replace

07 THERMOSTAT 80CEL 1 11531713040 ?

(I'm trying to do this as cheaply as possible )

OK dumb question 1..... if I'm just replacing part 14, do I need to drain the rad? If I can get away with just changing the sensor to hopefully fix the running problems, then I will drain the rad and renew the coolant soon, honest Also what's the best way to get in to remove the sensor as it didn't look particularly accessible.

Dumb question 2 - I've been trying to pop the instrument cluster to sort out the SI board and reset the lights, get the rev counter to work right etc, and last night I didn't have the right sized socket (got one now) for the steering wheel nut; I've heard people say that you can just manage it if you extend the steering wheel out all the way.... I've flipped down the adjuster, but I cannot for the life of me no matter how much I push or pull the wheel (and with the ignition in any state from no keys through to running), I cannot make it budge backwards or forwards.... am I missing something really obvious? Is my steering adjuster just broken or what?

As an aside, I've just won an auction for a Bentley's manual on Ebay, but I don't know how long that will take to come.

Thanks

you do not need to drain the coolent to change the switch

if you can not move the wheel in and out the large nut may of been overtightened on the steering shaft under the dash
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

you can drop the column down with 2 nuts on each side of it under the dash. If you have an airbag you might want to disconnect the battery before messin with the steering wheel.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy