GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: OT: what to expect from a '91 318 w/ 190k?

Default OT: what to expect from a '91 318 w/ 190k?

Im looking into an imacculate 318is, the car has been maintained well by a CCA member but Im just wondering what to expect from the 4 cyl at that kind of mileage. I'm familiar with all the other E30 issues. The mileage on the car is high, i know, but it might have the best body on a late model E30 i have seen. what do you guys think is a fair price for a high mile, well maintained car like that?
    Thanks
    J

Expect less trouble with that than with a similar mileage E34......

Seriously, 190k is just getting broken in good. You might want to see if the "profile" gasket has been replaced, as that can cause loss of coolant and a cracked head (if not caught quickly)- but by 190k miles, I'm pretty sure it's been done. Other than that, timing chain tensioner (easy + cheap), timing chain guides (a little $$ and requires removing timing cover), MIGHT need attention. As with most BMW's, the bottom end is pretty much bullet proof, as long as the oil has been changed and the car has not been overheated- the engine should be good for another 190k with little trouble.

Price sort of depends on location, and the local market, but E30 prices are similar to E34 prices- in that there seem to be few REALLY nice cars- and they bring decent money. Most of the cars are somewhat average (or below), and I've seen a range of ~$1500-3500- so- I would think $2500-3000 would be a fair range for this car if the rest is as nice as it sounds.

My 0.02 cents.

Bret.

Default Where is it located?

Quote Originally Posted by Rigmaster

Price sort of depends on location, and the local market, but E30 prices are similar to E34 prices- in that there seem to be few REALLY nice cars- and they bring decent money. Most of the cars are somewhat average (or below), and I've seen a range of ~$1500-3500- so- I would think $2500-3000 would be a fair range for this car if the rest is as nice as it sounds.

My 0.02 cents.

Bret.
    Mine's on the average side of things, I believe. I paid $2900 in March '03, and have spent about another $2k on it since, including about $500 for tires. Mine had 79k indicated miles, but the odometer had been broken for "a while"...

Again, depends on location, options, etc. Mine is a "stripper"...no sunroof, no central locking, leatherette. Oh, and still no A/C, Bret. Gotta get on that soon!
    Bill B.
    95 525i

Default Thanks guys! Located in NJ, doesnt seem to be a stripper

Has leatherette, but it does have AC. it also (unfortunately) has an E30 M3 spoiler that was added on and that I would take off, it still has the IS chin spoiler that so many are missing. Every time i see it i think E36 M3 Engine swap!!! I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Default Mine has A/C...it's just not "functional at this time"...

Quote Originally Posted by Jason
    Has leatherette, but it does have AC. it also (unfortunately) has an E30 M3 spoiler that was added on and that I would take off, it still has the IS chin spoiler that so many are missing. Every time i see it i think E36 M3 Engine swap!!! I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
    And you'll love the 4-cylinder engine. Don't swap just yet!
    Bill B.
    95 525i

Default They are tough, fun little cars...I kinda like mine...

If the one you are looking at has 190k miles, it would be time for a new timing chain, guides and tensioner. If a true BMWCCA enthusiast does own it, he might have already give her that little bit of tender loving care.

Parts are cheap, 'cept for that spoiler... and they are plentiful. You won't be dissapointed with the performance unless you're looking for something to "burn the tires off"...it does very well in the twisties and loves to rev above 3k rpm.

Look at it this way....there's a reason it's got 190k miles. If the price is right and you don't mind twisting wrenches, it's one of the cheaper BMW's to own.

Good luck,
    Jr
    '91 ///M5
    '91 318iS
    '01 525 (the little womans)