GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rear wheel noise

Default Rear wheel noise

I had this noise coming from the rear of the car, it fouled so many people to think it was the exhaust pipe...the other day i took the car for different reason than to check this noise,the mechanic was doing a test drive when he told me there is this noise, he jacked the car up and started hitting with his hand here and there, till he found out that the noise is coming from rear-right wheel.
    after this amaizing discovery, when this noise comes up and i apply brakes it stops immediately, i took out the wheel and missed with any posible metal that could make a CLINK-CLANK noise, i just can`t figure out what it is....
    any thoughts....

subframe bushings?
    shock mount?
    wheel bearing?

Gotta be one of 'em Since he found the noise, I'm a little surprised he was unable to diagnose it.
    Last edited by tim; 10-29-2004 at 12:08 PM.

brake backing plate? could be bent real close to the rotor?
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal
    brake backing plate? could be bent real close to the rotor?
    tim, as i tried to narrow the odds about this noise,it was more related to braking, meaning to say,when brake is slightly applied it stops immediately, i am sure that my car`s rear suspension needs checking,but for the noise i would go for jeff`s thought about the plate, since the noise is more like a metal sheet touching another metal...
    i jacked the car and looked around down there,but didn`t feel much comfortable since the standard jack was used , i tried to push around any metal pieces, but none did actually produce that sound i am looking for...if you hear it though guys you could swear its the exhaust pipe...since saturday is my favourite day to visit the mechanic i`ll see what he`s got to say...

If a wheel bearing gets really bad it will cause the brake pads and caliper to 'slop' around. Once you tap the brakes it pulls everything back together, stopping the noise. Seen this more than once.

Start by checking the wheel bearing, and then check the caliper.

Default my front wheel does the brake squeel thing

unless you tap or turn the wheel some then it goes away. I cant seem to fing significant play in the bearing how can I make sure?
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Since it's related to braking, I'll guess that the anti-rattle spring in that brake caliper is gone. Then the caliper is loose when there's no hydraulic pressure. Good news is that's a cheap fix.

Please put the car on jack stands when checking--never the trunk jack. You need to slap those parts hard to get them to rattle, and the trunk jack is not a good place to try that.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Project
    If a wheel bearing gets really bad it will cause the brake pads and caliper to 'slop' around. Once you tap the brakes it pulls everything back together, stopping the noise. Seen this more than once.

Start by checking the wheel bearing, and then check the caliper.
    i am sure now that tomorrow i got a major need to be done on this rear wheel, BTH, in case the bearing is a culprit,will it cause the wheel to look different from the other which has no bearing problem? in terms inwards or outwards? furthermore, can it affect allignment?

Karl's suggestion of the anti-rattle spring is a good one, too.

Wheel bearing play will eventually allow you to feel 'slop' in the hub if you grab the wheel with both hands and shake it back-and-forth. (with the car safely supported in the air) If it gets really bad, it can effect alignment, but that's pretty far out.

Wheel bearings also usually make 'hum' or 'groan' noises as they fail, too, but not always.

I don't think you'd ever be able to tell visually.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Project
    Karl's suggestion of the anti-rattle spring is a good one, too.

Wheel bearing play will eventually allow you to feel 'slop' in the hub if you grab the wheel with both hands and shake it back-and-forth. (with the car safely supported in the air) If it gets really bad, it can effect alignment, but that's pretty far out.

Wheel bearings also usually make 'hum' or 'groan' noises as they fail, too, but not always.

I don't think you'd ever be able to tell visually.
    thnx guys, i got some ideas in hand now, after the servicing is done will let you know what it was..

jj

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast