GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: check engine light came on

Default check engine light came on

i was driving my car home from work yesterday, and my check engine light came on and stayed on, also right after that my car starts to shake at idle, like its about to stall almost. could this be the O2 sensors, becasue about a month ago my check engine light would go on and then off, and when i tock it to BMW they said two codes came up, one for the O2 sensors and one for a temp sensor. They recomended i change my temp sensor becuase it could trigger off the O2 if it were bad. What do you guys think i should do, just change the O2 sensrs, or take it back to BMW and see what they have to say.

Thanks,

Greg.

Default Pull de codes, Mon! Stomp dat t'ing.

Do the stomp test, Dude. The resulting codes should guide you, in your repair.

Quote Originally Posted by gsotis
    i was driving my car home from work yesterday, and my check engine light came on and stayed on, also right after that my car starts to shake at idle, like its about to stall almost. could this be the O2 sensors, becasue about a month ago my check engine light would go on and then off, and when i tock it to BMW they said two codes came up, one for the O2 sensors and one for a temp sensor. They recomended i change my temp sensor becuase it could trigger off the O2 if it were bad. What do you guys think i should do, just change the O2 sensrs, or take it back to BMW and see what they have to say.

Thanks,

Greg.

i have tried the stomp test, but it doesnt seem to work. iam pritty sure iam doing it right. i turn the key so the power goes on, then stomp the pedal five times right?

One longer stomp, then 5 stomps withing 5 seconds. I think. Instructions are on www.bmwe34.net

hey, i have tried to do the stomp test again but it didnt work, either iam doing it wrong or theres somthing wrong with it. Anywas, what are symptoms of bad oxygen sensors, just so i can at least try to diagnose it without tacking it to BMW.

Thanks,

Greg.

With a bad O2 sensor, you will get really bad gas mileage, like you're in a Hummer or something. When mine have gone bad (I've been through 2), there was no issue with stalling. I just starting getting about 11 MPG.

Keep trying the stomp test. Turn the key to accesory 2 (so everything put the engine is on) and as you turn the key, stop 5 times with a good rhythm.

Dave
    dave b
    93 525i
    156k +

Default I hd the exact same problem

The check engine light came on and stayed on, and immediately the car starts to shake at idle, like its about to stall. But if I kept the RPM's over 1k it would run just fine. Next morning it was fine and about halfway to work, it did it again. So I had to 2 foot it over the Altamont and limped it into the dealer where it finally died. Waited 5 minutes, started it back up and it was fine. Dealer pulled codes for the O2 sensors but wanted to rape me on the price and labor. So I declined, took the car home, ordered O2 sensors from BMA and put them in the next day. Problem solved? No! It ran fine for a few and did it again. Stomp test showed fault codes for the O2's. Now I'm going nuts. So I limped it again over the hill to Dinan where they pulled additional codes for the MAF sensor. Put a new one on and it's been fine ever since.

Too bad those damn MAF sensors aren't so cheap.

Good luck

Default Stomp test won't work, if...

It didn't work in my car until I replaced the bad capacitors inside the instrument cluster. Now it works.

Quote Originally Posted by gsotis
    i have tried the stomp test, but it doesnt seem to work. iam pritty sure iam doing it right. i turn the key so the power goes on, then stomp the pedal five times right?