GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Servotronic steering...

Default Servotronic steering...

What is servotronic? Does my car have it?

I have a '95 - 540ia (build date 7/95) with 150K miles. My steering has developed the infamous loose on-center problem. I've talked with my independent mechanic, another well known suspension mechanic, and the dealer in my city about fixing the problem.
    The 2 indy's say that adjusting the steering box in "just about impossible" on the V8 cars. And from what other threads I've read on this forum, I have to say I'm not to optimistic about the adjustment procedure.

The dealer says NO - They only replace the box at about $2700!!! OUCH!

I've looked online to see what a new or rebuilt steer box would cost. There are 2 kinds listed: 1. w/ servotronic for $1250-1550, or 2. w/o servotronic for $550.

Again what is servotronic?

Servotronic was not available on MOST US cars. yours most likely does not have it. It basically adjusts the steering boost according to a lot of factors.
    1995 540iA M-Sport - 76k miles. 1 of 1 auto AW3 cars.
    1995 540i/6 - Misc Parts donor for above.

Default If you post the vin its easy enough to look it up in the ETK and see if you have

servotronic on your car. Servotronic varies how much power assist you get on the steering... At low speeds such as parking you get more assist so its easier to turn the wheel, at higher speeds you get less assist to give you more feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by myblack540i
    What is servotronic? Does my car have it?

I have a '95 - 540ia (build date 7/95) with 150K miles. My steering has developed the infamous loose on-center problem. I've talked with my independent mechanic, another well known suspension mechanic, and the dealer in my city about fixing the problem.
    The 2 indy's say that adjusting the steering box in "just about impossible" on the V8 cars. And from what other threads I've read on this forum, I have to say I'm not to optimistic about the adjustment procedure.

The dealer says NO - They only replace the box at about $2700!!! OUCH!

I've looked online to see what a new or rebuilt steer box would cost. There are 2 kinds listed: 1. w/ servotronic for $1250-1550, or 2. w/o servotronic for $550.

Again what is servotronic?

WBAHE6323SGF34186

Based on your reply, I'm guessing it does not, because I don't feel any difference in steering effort. If you can run my VIN, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!!

Default I ran it on the etk and it comes up showing me the steering box with

servotronic and it also lets me click on non servotronic too though...
    I would venture to guess that you have servotronic but you'll have to look at the bottom of the box to see if it has a torque converter on it with wires coming out. If it does its servotronic... Usually in the past the etk won't let me click on things that the car doesn't have.. for example on your vin it won't let me click on the manual transmission and when i click on the shifter it only shows me automatic shifters... Sorry i couldn't be of more help.

Quote Originally Posted by myblack540i
    WBAHE6323SGF34186

Based on your reply, I'm guessing it does not, because I don't feel any difference in steering effort. If you can run my VIN, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!!

The etk shows both for my 540i as well. I have servotronic. I found out when I brought it to the shop to have the hoses replaced, and they told me my box was leaking. Confirmed it on the original window sticker, where it read "Engine Speed Sensitive Variable Assist Steering" under "Standard Equipment". Now I'm trying to find an elusive rebuilt servotronic box...

Tony