GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Stupid Chevy Malibu

Default Stupid Chevy Malibu

So I'm in LA and I rent this Chevy Malibu.

The thing drives like a brick, has crappy brakes, lots of plastic...

But darned if the dang thing isn't twice as fast as my 535. Well, not twice as fast, but I'd bet the 0-60 is faster than my hopped-up M30.

It's just a bit of a let down that the car billed as one of the fastest production sedans when new (i.e., the e34 535) is slower than a uber-cheap new car today.

Oh well... At least I can look forward to the drive home from the airport tomorrow.

And since I'm posting this oh-so-relevant post, might as well express my big welcome back to Bill R! I expect AZ to vote Blue this year Bill! I'd vote there too if I could Now we just need to dig up George Mann... Where the heck is he these days?
    Robin

72 Chevy K10
    01 E39 M5

I hear ya bro on the "slow" thing. The new engines are depressing relative to our old bricks. On the bright side, nothing I have driven - even some of the new bimmers - drives like my snugged up E34. Still the best riding car I have driven.

Jeff
    Bellevue WA
    90 535iM - not much stock remains. 3.7 liters, ported head, cammed, 3.73 diffy, M5 brakes, MAFed, yadda yadda yadda
    86 Porsche 951 - Track Toy

Default All too true...

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff N.
    I hear ya bro on the "slow" thing. The new engines are depressing relative to our old bricks. On the bright side, nothing I have driven - even some of the new bimmers - drives like my snugged up E34. Still the best riding car I have driven.

Jeff
    A raw, un-snugged E34 handles like a cadillac, but as soon as you replace some (i.e., all) the rubber in the suspension, throw in some new shocks/springs/sways, they kick the crap out of most cars out there.

but that malibu could practically smoke it's (FWD) tires, stock! What say we group buy some turbos for all? You see that V10 article in Roundel? Mine has drool marks all over it after I read it.
    Robin

72 Chevy K10
    01 E39 M5

TC535i Guest

I have a '99 Kia Sephia for a daily driver... 4-doors, probably at least as much room in the back as the 535i, and I'll be damned if it doesn't rev 10x as easily. OBD-II + MAF + small-displacement 4-cyl... hops up quite a bit quicker than an OBD-I/AFM'd Big-6!

if by "hops up quite a bit quicker" you mean "accelerates much more slowly" then i believe you.
    -inc

'91 e31 850
    '90 e34 535
    '02 CBR F4i stunt/track bike
    '07 gsxr 750 stunt bike

Quote Originally Posted by Robin-535im
    What say we group buy some turbos for all? You see that V10 article in Roundel? Mine has drool marks all over it after I read it.

i'm in for a turbo..
    -inc

'91 e31 850
    '90 e34 535
    '02 CBR F4i stunt/track bike
    '07 gsxr 750 stunt bike

Default It's tough these days.. the average minivan has over 200 hp...

Nothing like getting you clock cleaned by some mom with a minivan full of kids and a dog in the back!

The turbo makes all the difference. I fear them no more.

Bill
    92 535iturbo

Default Put a chipped 535im and a Malibu on the highway...

Quote Originally Posted by Robin-535im
    So I'm in LA and I rent this Chevy Malibu.

The thing drives like a brick, has crappy brakes, lots of plastic...

But darned if the dang thing isn't twice as fast as my 535. Well, not twice as fast, but I'd bet the 0-60 is faster than my hopped-up M30.

It's just a bit of a let down that the car billed as one of the fastest production sedans when new (i.e., the e34 535) is slower than a uber-cheap new car today.

Oh well... At least I can look forward to the drive home from the airport tomorrow.

And since I'm posting this oh-so-relevant post, might as well express my big welcome back to Bill R! I expect AZ to vote Blue this year Bill! I'd vote there too if I could Now we just need to dig up George Mann... Where the heck is he these days?
    ...and see what happens. The Malibu wouldn't stand a chance. I've had my car at 145mph+ and it's tight and straight. I've driven a newer Monte Carlo, not sure if it is the same engine as the Malibu, but my car would humiliate it (both 0-60 and top speed)!

a 2005 malibu? i have a hard time believing that the gm 3.4/3.1 from years past could do crap to a 535 (my 525i is a different story...) i know not to bother with anyone with the last iteration of the 3.8, at least not when the transmission computer thinks its still on the highway (the fact that i carry 80 lbs of tools and 80 lbs of crap back there doesn't help). that 2k5 (or maybe 2k4 malibu) has 200 hp and maybe 3100lbs tops curb weight....wouldn't be hard pressed to believe its as quick as yer car (quicker i have a hard time with).

george is in the inner city in detroit, lecturing the ghetto childrens on the personal responsibility and doin' some general philosophizin. if he makes it back alive, it will be shortly after the election
    Last edited by ryan roopnarine; 10-27-2004 at 09:30 AM.
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."

Default 2004-05 Malibu specs

2004-2005 Chevrolet Malibu V6

The Malibu sheds its rental-car image by transforming into an Euro-flavored sedan. Based on the new Opel Vectra, handling is much better than any other Chevy sedan. The V6 is optional on the base model and standard on the LS and LT.

Base price : $20,995 Get a free price quote

Engine : V6, OHV, front engine FWD
    Displacement : 3,500 cc
    Valve : 12 valves, 2 valves per cylinder
    Transmission : 4-spd automatic
    Fuel economy : city - 23 mpg
    highway - 32 mpg

Suspension : F - Independent MacPherson strut
    R - Independent multilink
    Brakes : F - Vented discs
    R - Drums

Horsepower : 200 hp @ 5400 rpm
    Torque : 220 lb-ft @ 3200 rpm
    Redline : 6200 rpm

Top speed : 112 mph(electronically limited)
    0-60 mph : 8.0 sec.
    0-¼ mile : unknown
    60-0 braking distance : 135 ft
    200 ft skidpad : 0.80 g(estimated)

Curb Weight : 3297-3315 lbs
    Overall length : 188.3 in.
    Wheelbase : 106.3 in.
    Overall Width : 69.9 in.
    Height : 57.5 in.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast