GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: 2 recent annoying bugs!!

Default 2 recent annoying bugs!!

if anyone has a remedy for these ...

1 - my dome light doesnt work in the "door" position ,when you press on the switch a litter hard ,the lights come on but when i remove my finger it shuts off.So i know its not a door switch problem.
    The ON & OFF positions work fine .

I called the dealer to ask howe much this button is - quoted $110 !!!

I decided to try to fix it , i removed the housing and just pushed in the metal contact with a screw driver - voila - worked fine after that ---- til next day when it died out again !!!

2 - just esterday - my "P" light (when i shift to park) doesnt come on in the dash - If I wiggle the auto shift stick a little , it comes on and sometime dies out again !! All the other positions are fine.

has anyone encountered these before?

use some stabilant 22 on the switch, stuff works wonders.

dont know about your P
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

On the light switch, I dropped a bead of solder on the end of the metal tab. This seemed to have cured the problem.

Dunno about the P

Quote Originally Posted by Drooby
    if anyone has a remedy for these ...

1 - my dome light doesnt work in the "door" position ,when you press on the switch a litter hard ,the lights come on but when i remove my finger it shuts off.So i know its not a door switch problem.
    The ON & OFF positions work fine .

I called the dealer to ask howe much this button is - quoted $110 !!!

I decided to try to fix it , i removed the housing and just pushed in the metal contact with a screw driver - voila - worked fine after that ---- til next day when it died out again !!!

2 - just esterday - my "P" light (when i shift to park) doesnt come on in the dash - If I wiggle the auto shift stick a little , it comes on and sometime dies out again !! All the other positions are fine.

has anyone encountered these before?
    Check eBay - you can find dome lights and switches there.

The shifter mechanism has a set of sliding electrical contacts in it, presumably to light the correct lights, tell the brain which position it's in, etc. It's a bit like a jigsaw puzzle to get apart, but not all that bad. Remove shifter handle, remove the "wood" trim piece, there it is. You could try a contact cleaner spray, but the contacts are greased so that wouldn't be my choice.

An Allen socket is needed to get the assembly apart, maybe 4 mm (but not sure), and one of the screws was really tight. I cleaned the contacts and lubed it all with silicone grease. Be careful taking it apart and putting it back together, the shifter cable and ignition/park interlock is right there, too.