GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Rear wheel alignment

Default Rear wheel alignment

All my wheels are toeing out. The front apparently can be adjusted easily to toe in, but the alignment shop says that there is no way of adjusting the rear ones. Is there no way of fixing the rear?...my right rear tire is wearing out on the inside.

Thanks

normal rear tire wear is wearing out the insides. I suppose you could pay for some elaborate creation to cure this and ruin the handling characteristics of your car. Otherwise prepare to buy tire every so often.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

If your car is not lowered, there is no reason to readjust your rear suspension. BMW typically runs their cars with rather extreme (tire-eating) rear end suspension settings for good handling at the expense of tire life.

Not to mention that it's impossible to make any adjustments to the rear suspension without replacing your trailing arm bushings (or buying the adjustable rear subframe from Dinan, I suppose).

If your rear suspension is actually out of spec - something is very damaged down there. It would take a LOT to bend those massive swingarms, and the whole subframe is pretty damn stout, too.

Ordered Brunos rear subframe inserts, will that make any difference in the toe out, or do they just tighten up the problem of rear end wandering?

Default those just stiffen the bushings.

Quote Originally Posted by cadman20
    Ordered Brunos rear subframe inserts, will that make any difference in the toe out, or do they just tighten up the problem of rear end wandering?
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Default They just tighten up the rear subframe

I put them on mine a couple of months ago. Not sure if they significanly reduced wandering. It did make the car more stable in turns. Excellent upgrade. I found that with the replacment of each suspension component the car gets a bit tighter.

Quote Originally Posted by cadman20
    Last edited by Russell; 10-24-2004 at 04:16 PM.
    Thanks,

1995 525i Auto, M50TU 2.5L, EAT chip, 1/95 build, USA, 205/65/15 tires, ASC+T, HID, lumbar, EC Mirror, BMW Alpine 5 radio with BMW-Pioneer CD Changer, abt 236k miles, Oxford Green/Parchment

Bav Auto has a rear camber kit for lowered cars - I have the same issue. Had a blow out on the highway the other day due to tire wear. - JT
    Johntee540
    1994 540/6 Black - Tan - 199k
    Cardomain Site: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/737181/1

Thanks Johntee

Sounds like my problem. I'll look into it.