GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What's the best (manual) tranny oil to use?

Default What's the best (manual) tranny oil to use?

I am thinking of going with RedLine, what's the correct weight should I go with?

By the way, you guys were right-changing oil did allow me to pass the smog. Changed oil, filled up with Chevron Premium and it passed with flying colors.

Anton, I'm currently runnunt Redline MTL in my 6-speed (oops, mistakenly said MT-90 in an earlier thread.) I switched from the regular ATF that some folks use to the MTL for better shifting at low temperatures. This has generally worked well....but...I have found that my 2nd gear synchro is not as smooth as I would like (better than with ATF. but still not as smooth as 3rd+) I am going to give the MTL half the winter to see how I like it when the temp drops, and may swap it out for Mobil SynATF. Part of my issues with the MTL may be that it is actually a bit TOO slippery and doesn't let the synchros match gear speeds at an optimum speed. The flip side is that MTL is excellent lub for the bushings and bearing that are found inside any transmission. You can find more info on Redline MTL with this fact sheet or get general information at their product page.

Cheers,
    Duey

1995 540i/6 Sport Pkg w/E.A.T. chip and Nikasil injection Duey's Gallery

What would be the proper oil for my gear box, MTL-MT-90 or D4 ATF?
    Califblue, have you purchased oil from them?

D4 for the coldest areas, MTL for moderate winter temps and MT-90 for warmer climates.

1995 540i/6 Sport Pkg w/E.A.T. chip and Nikasil injection Duey's Gallery

I have been using Mobil 1 Syn ATF and it seem to be working fine. Only have had the car for two months. I sure do like it.
    Ted K
    90 535 5-speed

Quote Originally Posted by Anton CH.
    What would be the proper oil for my gear box, MTL-MT-90 or D4 ATF?
    Califblue, have you purchased oil from them?
    When I changed mine to Mobil my 5 speed had a sticker to use ATF on the side of it.
    Ted K
    90 535 5-speed

Ted, I think all all 5's have the ATF sticker. I live in a warm climate(never snows here) so it's a tough decision. Can't decide.
    By the way, Bentley states that my gearbox takes 1.2L (1.27 qts.). Is that or typo or is it really that little? My friend's 4 cylinder takes twice more.

Quote Originally Posted by Anton CH.
    Ted, I think all all 5's have the ATF sticker. I live in a warm climate(never snows here) so it's a tough decision. Can't decide.
    By the way, Bentley states that my gearbox takes 1.2L (1.27 qts.). Is that or typo or is it really that little? My friend's 4 cylinder takes twice more.

It really is that little, i think my 535 might have a different tranny(Getrag 260) but i definitely used less than 2 quarts.

Ive been running Redline MTL in mine for about a year and it really did seem to smooth everything up a bit, but then i've never compared to some of the other premium oils like Mobil.

Default I REALLY like RedLine MTL. Big improvement over

ATF in both my '89 535i and '90 325is.

QUOTE=Anton CH.]I am thinking of going with RedLine, what's the correct weight should I go with?

By the way, you guys were right-changing oil did allow me to pass the smog. Changed oil, filled up with Chevron Premium and it passed with flying colors.[/QUOTE]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast