GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Great way to start Day 2

Default Great way to start Day 2

While wiggling the coolant pump off, I believe I did what someone (Jeff? Winfred?) described as, "pulling the pipes out of the back end of the block".

I actually only unseated the smaller of the 2 pipes, but there wasn't much I could do to hold them in place as I pulled on the pump.

An upside (small thought it may be) is that the pump-block gasket was soaked, deteriorated, and about 4" around the bottom edge of the pump has literally vanished. This sure would explain the serious coolant leak. So, at the very least, this should fix everything all up.

Now, as for this coolant pipe, is it true I have to remove the header to get back there? Is there any way I can just "feel" the pipe back into its seat, or is that like shooting ants with a BB gun from ten yards away?
    Ex-Calypso Red 540i owner

Default oops!

time to order up some intake manifold gaskets and new seals for the tubes. You can get it back in there but you have a 99% (Winfred?) chance of a leak. I had a real hard time holding them in on mine when I did it but didnt pull them out cause I imagined the extra work that would probably have to transpire so I wiggled the pump for quite a while in order to NOT accidently unseat them.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Nevemind, I re-seated it just by touch.

At least I see where the problem was. Not only was the water pump gasket deteriorated, but 2 or the 4 bolts on the thermostat housing were loose (enough that I could take them out by hand). Furthermore, the thermostat O-ring was flattened and deteriorated, and was leaking out of 2 of the 4 sides (between the bolts) - dried coolant all the way out to the edge of the housing.

The inside of the old water pump looks really clean, though.

I already have new intake manifold gaskets. How hard is that?

Default I dont know yet,

maybe you will be able to tell us?

Quote Originally Posted by andyman32
    I already have new intake manifold gaskets. How hard is that?
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

not too bad, takes me a couple hours to r&r a m60 intake and clean and tweek everything
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Quote Originally Posted by winfred
    not too bad, takes me a couple hours to r&r a m60 intake and clean and tweek everything
    Mmmm.... but, a couple of your hours = many, many of my DAYS.

Default Lmao!

at least you haven given up like many many others I have seen here.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========

John F. Kennedy

Yeah, when it's Winfred, "It ain't too hard" means something very different than most of us envision in the plain-language use of those words.

OK, new water pump is, new hoses, clamps, fan clutch assembly and fan shroud are back in. NOW:

Anyone know where the bleeding screw is on the M60/62? No, Bruno's website doesn't say anything about it, nor does Bentley's. The 540 does have a separate expansion tanke, but there is no bleeder valve "on top of the thermostat housing", which is where they all point to when the car has a separate expansion tank.

Default pour it in and go man

pour, let it sit, pour, start, pour, close cap, drive, check when cools off...done!
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========

John F. Kennedy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast