GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: <twitch> Driver-Side front tire rubbing against strut tower!

Default <twitch> Driver-Side front tire rubbing against strut tower!

There's a band about 1" wide on the inside sidewall of the front driver's side tower; it is actually CONTACTING the strut tower (even parked). HOLY FRIGGIN CRAP. I have no idea how long this has been going on, but it's safe to assume it has ruined the tire, and I'm now worried about the car's driveability even to get the tires replaced. This seems markedly unsafe to me.

The PS tire is just fine.

What happened? Why is the cambre in so much? Do you think this has to do with the bad thrust arms?
    Ex-Calypso Red 540i owner

white wheels/tires are you running. If aftermarket wheels, what offset are they?
    1995 540iA M-Sport - 76k miles. 1 of 1 auto AW3 cars.
    1995 540i/6 - Misc Parts donor for above.

yep either your wheels are wrong offset or your suspension is trying to tell you something.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

STOCK 15" basketweaves. The 3 other wheels are A-OK; just the DS front one.

I think my suspension is telling me something loud and clear, "you're screwed buddy!", and I heard it this afternoon. Now the problem is, what does it MEAN? What goes bad to cause the wheel to cambre in so far? Wheel bearings? Bent strut? Worn spring? None / all of the above?

Default hmm...

the rims, are they actually for the E34?

Wheel bearings? - you would know by a grinding, lack of braking and/or shimmy at all speeds.

Bent strut? - Very possible mattering on the suspension parts.

Worn spring? - NO

None / all of the above? - if you have bent thrust or control arms that could be the problem, I think if those are bent too far out that you may have other problems from that impact such as bent frame etc... hopefully the arms/strut housing took the brunt of it and forgave the frame. Sounds like you will have to crawl under there to see what looks whacked and go from there.

that sucks mann.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Yes yes, the rims are for the E34. Plain old stock wheels for the '94 (and I believe '95 as well) 540.

Frame? UGH, don't tell me that. Even the PS wheel is very close to the tower; there is less than 1/4" clearance between the tire and the tower. That would be an absolute cluster**** if it is a frame problem, though, since the car DID have a front-end accident (unreported; but all front-end panels are DOT-R). It looks to me as though that accident would have been more than enough to do frame damage.

Anyhow, I'll wait until I get those new upper arms in. If I'm super-lucky, that's it. No more worries.