GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Bushings for Upper Control Arms

Default Bushings for Upper Control Arms

hi there,

i have a 93' 520i, it has a M50B20 engine with a 5-speed manual transmission. And it's time to replace the upper/lower control arms, and sway bar links. I was going to order the Lemforder arms with 750i bushings, but my mechanic said that the M5 bushings is actually better than the 750i. Is it true? What's the difference between the M5 and 750i bushings?

thank you.

those are even firmer, I dont know if you can buy the arms installed with those bushings.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

thank you for the reply. I can't get the arms with m5 bushings installed. So I need to get them separately and pay someone to press them for me. The price to press a bushing in malaysia is about USD3.

another question, what about the aluminum and iron control arm? I heard the aluminum is softer.

thanks again.

regards

Quote Originally Posted by magicfox
    hi there,

i have a 93' 520i, it has a M50B20 engine with a 5-speed manual transmission. And it's time to replace the upper/lower control arms, and sway bar links. I was going to order the Lemforder arms with 750i bushings, but my mechanic said that the M5 bushings is actually better than the 750i. Is it true? What's the difference between the M5 and 750i bushings?

thank you.
    I think they're urethane. I'm sure your mech knows what he's doing, but let me warn you, the 750 bushings are already quite robust. So much so, that if other elements of your suspension aren't similarly robust, you will have a crappy ride as well as replacing virtually every other bushing in the a matter of months.

Quote Originally Posted by tim
    I think they're urethane. I'm sure your mech knows what he's doing, but let me warn you, the 750 bushings are already quite robust. So much so, that if other elements of your suspension aren't similarly robust, you will have a crappy ride as well as replacing virtually every other bushing in the a matter of months.
    thank you for the warning, tim. about the suspension elements, i am replacing the lower arms, upper arms, sway bar links, delrin subframe inserts, springs and shocks. any other suspension parts that i should look into?

thank you.

regards

Sounds like you've got it covered. I think the main thing is to do it all at the same time, otherwise a newer, firmer element stresses the others.

Quote Originally Posted by tim
    Sounds like you've got it covered. I think the main thing is to do it all at the same time, otherwise a newer, firmer element stresses the others.
    thank you.