GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Shimmy? No thanks!

Default Shimmy? No thanks!

So this weekend was my fall break from school... sat - tues. I replaced lower control arms, upper control arms w/ 750i bushings, tie rod ends, and swapped to M5 3mm spring pads. I also did flex disc, center bearing, all new bolts, new exhaust hangers, new exhaust gaskets, new rear shock mounts, and Bruno's subframe reinforcement plates...

all i have to say is, even though it took me like 12 hours of labor for everything... included hanging exhaust... the car drives like new. its actually unbelieveably sturdy feeling. my wander is gone. i point the wheel to the next lane to change, the car goes, and the ass follows and is solid. there is no 45 - 55mph shimmy any more... none, gone, done. its insane. i love this car. thanks for all the help people!

yep, i hear ya. New Bilsteins, sway bar links, brakes, coil packs, and plugs. It's a new car.
    1995 540iA M-Sport - 76k miles. 1 of 1 auto AW3 cars.
    1995 540i/6 - Misc Parts donor for above.

Default 12 hours- you are a pretty good wrench!

Any special tools for the thrust/control arms?

Quote Originally Posted by Jon K
    So this weekend was my fall break from school... sat - tues. I replaced lower control arms, upper control arms w/ 750i bushings, tie rod ends, and swapped to M5 3mm spring pads. I also did flex disc, center bearing, all new bolts, new exhaust hangers, new exhaust gaskets, new rear shock mounts, and Bruno's subframe reinforcement plates...

all i have to say is, even though it took me like 12 hours of labor for everything... included hanging exhaust... the car drives like new. its actually unbelieveably sturdy feeling. my wander is gone. i point the wheel to the next lane to change, the car goes, and the ass follows and is solid. there is no 45 - 55mph shimmy any more... none, gone, done. its insane. i love this car. thanks for all the help people!
    Last edited by Russell; 10-13-2004 at 06:53 PM.
    Thanks,

1995 525i Auto, M50TU 2.5L, EAT chip, 1/95 build, USA, 205/65/15 tires, ASC+T, HID, lumbar, EC Mirror, BMW Alpine 5 radio with BMW-Pioneer CD Changer, abt 236k miles, Oxford Green/Parchment

Quote Originally Posted by Russell
    Any special tools for the thrust/control arms?

No matter how good, 12 hrs is still no fun.

Not really, i couldn't get the tie rod puller to fit over the thrust arm mount plate... so i had to make a tool made of tools, if that makes sense. Here is a picture, if you look close you can see what this is accomplishing...

I'm about to do my upper thrust arms, so I'm gonna have to get that ball joint off. Where can I get a tie-rod puller? AutoZone? Home Depot?
    Ex-Calypso Red 540i owner