GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Uh-oh..wifey calls...rough running and CEL...

Default CURED...code 1222 and surging idle/rich running...it was the MAF

rough running while at a stoplight, then momentary CEL at around 35mph a little bit later... I just did an "italian tuneup" last night for about 30 minutes, then went and filled up with 91 Exxon. Drove spiritedly home from that.

Wonder what I cooked up/burned out? Recently replaced valve cover gaskets, and there was no oil leakage into spark plug wells. May have fouled the O2 sensor...last replaced in 2001, at 79k miles...seems too soon for that though.

This is the worst possible timing for problems with her car. Like there's ever a good time. I'll see what the stomp test gives me.

Last edited by billb; 11-03-2004 at 05:22 AM.
    Bill B.
    95 525i

Coil(s)?

Default That'd be okay...I can handle coils.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Project
    Coil(s)?
    Let's hope it's something simple.
    Bill B.
    95 525i

Quote Originally Posted by billb
    Let's hope it's something simple.
    Coils are simple, but not cheap.

Bill, I believe the coils for the 318is and the 525's are the same. If you do suspect the coils, they are simple enough to rob for a test before you plop down the cash...only trouble is, there's only 4 of 'em...=)

Jr

Default ~40 each...it's code 1222, O2 sensor out of range....

Quote Originally Posted by Jon K
    Coils are simple, but not cheap.
    Checking out the cheap/simple stuff first. Oddly enough, when it's running rough, disconnecting the MAF connector causes it to run smoothly again. Might I be on to something there?
    Bill B.
    95 525i

ummmmm.......
    1222 is o2 sensor but that doesn't mean anything. any massive vacuum leak or vacuum hose kink will throw that code (ask me how i know...) if you disconnect the maf while it is running, it should run like crap.
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."

Default Searched it top to bottom, front to back...now CEL is on steady...

still throwing 1222 code, but I did not find a leak anywhere. I checked every hose in the idle circuit, FPR, crankcase ventilation, etc. All good, no leaks anywhere that I can find. At first, it was just sporadically hesitating, then idling up high to recover, then repeating. It steadily got worse this evening as I was testing it out. Eventually, it did that enough that the CEL came on steady and it went into default mode, taking everything out of the loop, and runs smooth...but with lit CEL.

In efforts to level the playing field, I reinstalled the factory chip (removed the EAT). No change.

Suspiciously enough, I just filled up last night...wonder if bad gas/water in gas could cause all this mess?

New O2 sensor is $69.00...and it has been 45k miles since last one...that's way too short a life.

Suggestions, comments, snide remarks?
    Bill B.
    95 525i

Default Any and all help appreciated...this one's got me stumped at the moment.

I just can't see a large-scale vacuum leak on this thing (or even small scale!) It seems to do it once the engine's up to temperature, so it's when it goes closed-loop. It almost behaves like a shot O2 sensor, but I'm getting 1222. Of course, the last time this happened, I got 1221, not 1222.

Any thoughts of problem-prone areas? Gotta get this thing back up and running for the missus.

Thanks.
    Bill B.
    95 525i

... back to your earlier post re. the MAF: Do you have access to a spare one to swap out for a trial?? False air mass readings to the motronic will do many things - like richen the mixture which will cause a "red-herring" error code on the O2 sensor.
    Anyway, it is possibly one of the MAF failure modes.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast