GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: front weels vibrate when braking

Default front weels vibrate when braking

I have thei 535i E34 90 model I have new Disks and bushings, new arms front and rear. and new weels and new alloys .. but I still get this vibration. anyone knows the problem?

Quote Originally Posted by grave77
    I have thei 535i E34 90 model I have new Disks and bushings, new arms front and rear. and new weels and new alloys .. but I still get this vibration. anyone knows the problem?
    Check the rear arms and your swaybar links. I had the same problem and got new control arms and new swaybar links. So far so good.

I had pretty bad vibration under braking in my car. Got the front shocks replaced (one of them was completely dead), bump stops and idler arm bushings. It's almost gone now, but there's still a slight vibration under initial braking, but not enough to bother me.

Even though you have new discs make sure there is no runout, which can occur if there is dirt or grit caught between the mounting faces etc. My experience with BMW brakes is that they are really sensitive to disc runout and variations in thickness of the discs.

I dont know ... but all what you guys said was checked disks and brake linings, arms front and rear were changed too. I'm doubting the shock absorbers but they are stiff.
    Last edited by grave77; 10-13-2004 at 01:37 AM. Reason: spelling

forget my post about the shocks and idler arm, it lowered the brake-shakes a fair bit at first, but now it's back and worse than ever... next on my list will be sway bar links and control arms... I get a clunk when i hit a bump with my right front wheel, so I can rule out warped rotors (at least, that's not the only problem! sigh..)

I have a serious shimmy in braking when descending through 60-50 area, as well as a misalignment when cruising at about the same speeds. From what I've read so far in this thread (and in archives), I can narrow it down to the following:

ALMOST EVERYTHING IN THE FRONT SUSPENSION

That might be a little pricy, by way of replacement parts AND time. It looks like the upper control arm bushings are dry and worn out, and there's a lot of space between the through-bolt and the bushing on both sides. Is that normal? Should the bushing fit snugly around the bolt?

Could I just replace the bushing, or do I need an entire new control arm? Or, is it probably something else altogether?

TIA -
    Ex-Calypso Red 540i owner

Default get the complete thrust arms

with the 740 bushings already installed. I dont think there should be any play (of significance) between the bolt and collar but once torqued down that play should tighten up.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Here's what I mean, Jeff:

Ex-Calypso Red 540i owner

Pick up the entire arm from BMA with the 750 bushings already installed.
    Ramon
    1994 540iA Nikasil EAT Chip
    Tampa Bay, Florida USA

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast