GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: v8-radiator hose replacement tips needed

Default v8-radiator hose replacement tips needed

It's the one on the passenger side. It looks pretty simple to replace, but I have a question about not losing the precious blue fluid. I have a decent spring clamp to stem flow, and will remove the lower end into the radiator first. But into what? It's just the hose r&r and I know I should do the water pump and thermostat, but it's not going to happen today.

I have a decent tray to catch the fluid, but I guess I need a funnel with flex hose attached to direct the fluid back down the header and into my pan.

Any tips for this almost-never-DIY-er? For this op, is burping going to be difficult or can I just turn the heater on, and remove and replace the cap a few times.

Thanks so much in advance.

geoff
    Last edited by Elekta; 10-12-2004 at 12:00 PM.

~6 speed~ Rear Fogs ~ Shadowline ~ Tow Package ~ OEMMM///S38B38

I replaced all my hoses, the radiator hoses are very straight forwards, catch the fluid in a tray and replace. The V8 you just add fluid, wait a bit, add the rest, start it and finish topping it off, no burping or farting with the V8

was trying to see how many commas I could put in a small reply.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal
    I replaced all my hoses, the radiator hoses are very straight forwards, catch the fluid in a tray and replace. The V8 you just add fluid, wait a bit, add the rest, start it and finish topping it off, no burping or farting with the V8

was trying to see how many commas I could put in a small reply.

I know this much. But did you direct the hose into a funnel that has a hose on it so as not to make a mess of lower engine bay shield?

Default I drained the radiator into a bucket from the petcock,

I dumped some but not a lot and wiped the splash guard when I was done. Wasn't real messy, at least not bad at all compared to other projects like flipping the trans pan off my hand when changing the fluid a couple weeks back.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal
    I dumped some but not a lot and wiped the splash guard when I was done. Wasn't real messy, at least not bad at all compared to other projects like flipping the trans pan off my hand when changing the fluid a couple weeks back.
    last question (thanks btw)

on which side is the petcock? (before I head outside)

Default Mine was on the right hand side as you face the front of the car.

little deal, not too hard to get at.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========

John F. Kennedy

Isn't it just super-easy to take off the splash guard?

4 plastic nuts and off it comes...

Then you don't have to worry about radiator fluid pooling in there.

P.S. - question to you guys - when I flush my cooling system, replace the water pump & hoses, and re-fill, do you think it's all that important to use BMW coolant? The difference between $20/gallon at the stealer and $3/gallon at AutoZone is a non-trivial one... so they better have magic radiator-saving juice in the BMW proprietary blend...
    Ex-Calypso Red 540i owner

Gyad what a wuss I was. This was so easy, I am embarrassed to have had to ask for help. Took took the guard off; took the air box off; changed the hose in like 5 minutes; scariest part was trying not to overtighten hose clamp on radiator nipple.

So, to reward myself I promptly backed into a gravel driveway to turn around and had my rear clip pull off when I scraped the concrete approach in pulling away. That was fun. Luckily that was also an easy fix. Pop off the rub strips. loosen the four adjuster bolts, and slide the clip out. The right side clip that is on the bumper cover was broken so I rotated it 180 so the clip that was still there was on top and slid that bastige back in. Soapy water was my friend in that operation.

oi

Default I figured it was like me, either lazy or just didnt want to start the project.

Quote Originally Posted by 530iTouring
    Gyad what a wuss I was. This was so easy, I am embarrassed to have had to ask for help. Took took the guard off; took the air box off; changed the hose in like 5 minutes; scariest part was trying not to overtighten hose clamp on radiator nipple.

So, to reward myself I promptly backed into a gravel driveway to turn around and had my rear clip pull off when I scraped the concrete approach in pulling away. That was fun. Luckily that was also an easy fix. Pop off the rub strips. loosen the four adjuster bolts, and slide the clip out. The right side clip that is on the bumper cover was broken so I rotated it 180 so the clip that was still there was on top and slid that bastige back in. Soapy water was my friend in that operation.

oi
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========

John F. Kennedy