GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Question for the "switch" gurus.

Default Question for the "switch" gurus.

I'm sure this is stupid question, but can you use the same window switch for the driver (auto up & down) for the other 3 windows?

Thanks, Keith

Yes, no question is stupid! The only stupid question is the one you dont ask and fÜck the whole thing up.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by Keith
    I'm sure this is stupid question, but can you use the same window switch for the driver (auto up & down) for the other 3 windows?

Thanks, Keith
    Wellllllll, after checking the ETK, it seems that it's the whole cluster of 4 switches, so I guees this means you CAN'T replace just 1 switch if you needed too, correct me if I'm wrong.

Keith

Can't, nor should you ever need to. I've never seen a mroe overbuilt switch in my life. I was in awe of it when I took it apart to clean it out a while ago.

All four of your windows should have auto-down - just tap the switch quickly. If a switch stops working, it's really easy to pop the whole cluster apart and clean them out.

single cluster?? i have to do my homework now.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by Mobius
    Can't, nor should you ever need to. I've never seen a mroe overbuilt switch in my life. I was in awe of it when I took it apart to clean it out a while ago.

All four of your windows should have auto-down - just tap the switch quickly. If a switch stops working, it's really easy to pop the whole cluster apart and clean them out.
    I realize that I have the "tap down" feature on all of them and have the "tap up only" on the drivers window.
    My question was, can you make ALL FOUR do the same as the drivers window?

Actually, the switch does not control the automated window up/down function... the main control box under the back seat, drivers side, controls the auto up/down of the windows. I just forgot the technical name for the part... someone help me out... It's the same unit that controls interior lighting, dor locks, etc, and is located right beside the main relay control unit... Hell, I've got 3 or 4 of 'em sitting in the garage... just can't remember the name... anyway, that's what determines if you have the one touch up/down feature. Hope that helps.
    1991 535i 176k (under serious surgery: repaint, interior swap, manual conversion, etc.)
    1993 750iL 132k

Default can you take it apart? My pass side has some glitches.

Quote Originally Posted by JeremyT
    Actually, the switch does not control the automated window up/down function... the main control box under the back seat, drivers side, controls the auto up/down of the windows. I just forgot the technical name for the part... someone help me out... It's the same unit that controls interior lighting, dor locks, etc, and is located right beside the main relay control unit... Hell, I've got 3 or 4 of 'em sitting in the garage... just can't remember the name... anyway, that's what determines if you have the one touch up/down feature. Hope that helps.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========

John F. Kennedy

Jeff,
    If it's the switch that has a glitch and can't be fixed, you can get a new switch assembly from BMA for about 50 or 60 bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by JonE
    Jeff,
    If it's the switch that has a glitch and can't be fixed, you can get a new switch assembly from BMA for about 50 or 60 bucks.
    Bah - no need. Seriously, aside from a direct hit with an ice pick, the switch cluster should be damn near unbreakable. Pull it out, take it apart and clean the contacts with a little alcohol, then lube 'em up with some dielectric grease.

As far as the auto up/down goes.. If I recall correctly, the switches are all identical in operation (there's nothing different about the driver's window switch) - so ALL the auto up/down is probably handled in the control box.