GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone in Raleigh Area willing to have a wrenching day sometime soon?

Default Anyone in Raleigh Area willing to have a wrenching day sometime soon?

I have ramps, a jack and stands, but unfortuantely, my tool set is limited (relatively, anyhow) and I don't have a solid driveway or garage in which to work. Plus, I'm about to get into some things that are new to me, so someone with more expertise than I have (which is pretty much everyone on this entire forum) to look over my shoulder would be much, MUCH appreciated.

I will be:

- replacing water pump & coolant hoses
    - replacing power steering hoses
    - replacing upper control arms

Things I can do myself with no problem are new pads & rotors, alternator cooling pipe, and fuel filters.

If anyone were willing to do this with me, some sort of remuneration would be justified. Say, $100 cash.

Big thanks in advance,

Andy
    Ex-Calypso Red 540i owner

Default Hmmm...never worked on a V8...did water pump and hoses on my M50...

Quote Originally Posted by andyman32

If anyone were willing to do this with me, some sort of remuneration would be justified. Say, $100 cash.
    but that's a little different. If we ever end up getting together, say, down at Bret's farm, we can all take a look and offer advice, I'm sure. I took my 525 to my indy to do upper and lower arms, and haven't had any issues with the power steering hoses. You might consider doing the radiator too, as well as thermostat, if you're going to be doing all the hoses and the water pump. Also might consider swaybar bushings and links if doing the upper control arms.

And I can toss around insults all day for free...
    Bill B.
    95 525i

Well, I'm not a seasoned home mechanic, I'm learning. So, I'm not sure I have the right tools, and I could easily screw things up if I don't have more knowledgeable eyes looking over my work. I've found a lot of places where Bentley's is somewhat ambiguous, and most illustrations are of the I6.

As for the radiator, etc., I've already ordered over $1,000 of parts from BMA. On a student's budget, that's the rough equivalent of "throwing insane amounts of money at the car". If I acquired another $1k of parts to do "while I'm in there", it'll sure save time & frustration, but I'll have to start whoring myself out on weekends to pay for the parts (why do I keep finding myself threatening to whore myself out on the weekends?).

I don't think the radiator is cracked, there's dried coolant on the cooling fan, and all over the bottom of the hoses attached to the water pump (as well as the pump itself). It is supremely problematic because the coolant reservoir empties itself in less than a week. So, I think doing the water pump and hoses will (hopefully) be enough for now. Elective surgery will have to wait until I make the big bucks with my Philosophy degree.

PLUS - while the car is up and relatively disassembled, I need to hunt down an oil leak somewhere right above the driver's-side motor mount. The motor mount and subframe crossmember are soaked.

Do yourself a favor... There is another oring that needs to be changed when you change the water pump... unfortunately it requires removing the intake manifold... I dreads to do this job... always some tiny leak... I may plunge into it someday.

Valve cover gasket is your oil leak... you also need new thermostat housing. If your waterpump is not leaking, don't change it... wait till it does. I would bet majority of leak near it is from thermostat housing.

BTW - I did get a new thermostat as well.

On this water pump the thermostat housing is built in to the pump, so i ordered a whole new water pump. I hope to high heavens that the water pump, thermostat and hoses together stop the leak. I saw in Bentley's that one symptom of leaking coolant and cloudy/steamy exhaust is a bad headgasket. I KNOW the car has bad hoses because I can visually locate the leaks, and there is coolant pooled in the splash guard when I take it off. However, my car does have somewhat cloudly exhaust sometimes. I thought the guy I bought it from said he had just put headgaskets on...

Default When you have my life, every day is wrenching...

...gut-wrenching that is... ;-)

Haha...

Well, my theory is that I'd rather spend my money on tools and have an opportunity to learn (and MAYBE have fun, but probably not), than to always get cold feet and just take it to the mechanic (no offense to the professional mechanics here... ha). It is terribly useful to have a thorough working knowledge of your car.

P.S.: Tiger, I don't think it's a valve cover gasket. I just spent some time looking around with a flaslight; it looks like it's ONLY coming out of the spot where the oil lines connect with the block on the driver's side there, then leaking down those lines (and dripping all over everything else).

However, i can't seem to find new oil lines or those little o-rings on BMA.

If oil lines are all that are leaking, WOOHOO!!!

Andyman, come out to the BMW farm one day, and we'll tear your car up....err, I mean, fix your car up good!!

I don't have alot of indoor workspace, but I can help you out if you want.

Let me know.

Thanks!

Bret.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast