GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: help! keyless entry!

Default help! keyless entry!

I have a 1995 540i and i wanted to fix the keyless entry (i just got the car and dont know whats wrong with it). I tried changing the batteries on the keys and recoding them via the manual's instructions but it still doesnt work. The central locking still works by hand (ie if i press down the lock) but i cant get the remote stuff to work. Does anyone know how to fix it? Is it a fuse problem?

edit: i also looked under the back seat and i dont see the "factory alarm connector", but my keys are the keyless keys and there is a LED in the middle of the vent on the dash (directly under the rear view mirror)
    Last edited by MaloventEvil; 10-09-2004 at 08:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MaloventEvil
    I have a 1995 540i and i wanted to fix the keyless entry (i just got the car and dont know whats wrong with it). I tried changing the batteries on the keys and recoding them via the manual's instructions but it still doesnt work. The central locking still works by hand (ie if i press down the lock) but i cant get the remote stuff to work. Does anyone know how to fix it? Is it a fuse problem?

edit: i also looked under the back seat and i dont see the "factory alarm connector", but my keys are the keyless keys and there is a LED in the middle of the vent on the dash (directly under the rear view mirror)
    please... someone help me?

if you do a search on the archives here and on Roadfly you will find this issue discussed adnauseum. However - you may not have the unit itself in the car - it seems.

On my car - I have the dreaded intermittent locking nad unlocking from the key with the CLS. The solution to this - according to the boards is - replace the Fusible Link under the rear seat that runs to the OBC. Going to do that this week as the part just came in.

If I were you - I would look up the part number in the TDK for the CLS. See what the heck you are looking for looks like - and then see if you can locate it under the rear seat. There are a couple of square black plastic modules there. The one you want has a wire antenna coming out of it. If that is missing - I would then go to the dealer and see about replacing it. The previous owner may have removed it due to problems with it. - JT
    Johntee540
    1994 540/6 Black - Tan - 199k
    Cardomain Site: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/737181/1

Okay, here's the deal.

M.Evil has a 1995, which came with a slightly different setup than your '94. There is an EWS-II unit behind the glovebox apparently, which I've never had the need to access. From everything I've read, this unit is central to the EWS-II keyless setup. Now, in M.Evil's case, I'm not sure if the cause is a bad EWS unit, or something different. I'm guessing it's the EWS unit, and not the transponder key or receiver ring around the ignition, else he couldn't start his car.

I thought the EWS-II setup was passive; i.e. even if you don't lock your car up with the keyless "lock", the EWS setup would still prevent the car from being started. Is this not the case?

Owner - Willamette Valley Motor Sports, LLC

to clarify: my central locking with the keys still works perfectly, i just dont have keyless entry. If anyone knows where to look for problems please let me know!

also what is thing about having the battery's out of the key for more than a minute?

Never heard about the "one minute" thing.

so am i dead in the water? does anyone know what i can do?

Default Yes, first thing is to verify that your car does in fact have the

keyless option under the seat as mentioned. could have been removed, not be working or was never installed in the car at all. anyone can have a key made on the keyless blank. once you verify if you have it or not you can go further such as trying to reprogram the system.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

There will be no keyless module under the rear seat for his car.

It's (so I've been told) apparently integrated into the EWS unit.

The antenna for the keyless is in the rear view mirror base.

I have a EWS-II schematic, I'll dig it up after work.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast