GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Check Engine signal lights on and off, engine takes long to start

Default Check Engine signal lights on and off, engine takes long to start

I had this problem long time ago but just now I have noticed that my engine won’t start until the check engine light switches off. but while starting the engine the light comes on and off several times. I also have problem with my engines torque. Any ideas what can I do? my car is 535i 91 model

Have you done the "Stomp" test to see what codes are being thrown?

With the ignition in "run" position, not started, quickly press the accelerator to the floor 5 times within 5 seconds.

Look at the check engine light and it should start to flash the codes that are stored.

For instance, the code for a "no code" condition is 1441. Each number represents a flash of the light. Count the flashes. Before each code, the light will stay on for about 1 1/2 seconds. Then be prepared to count the flashes.

The code 1441 will look something like this....
    Long flash, (indicating starting point)

Flash.....(one second long) indicating first number
    pause,
    Flash, flash, flash, flash (half a second inbetween flashes) indicating the second number.
    pause,
    Flash, flash, flash, flash (half a second inbetween flashes)
    indicating the third number.
    pause.....
    Flash, (one second long) indicating the fourth number.

The code will keep repeating itself if it is the only one, otherwise, it will go on to others that are stored in the computer. Let us know what you find, and we can show you where to look up the stored codes for your car, or tell you what they are.

Hope this helps,
    Jr

Not to be a jerk but I believe the no faults code is 1444.

HTH,

Phil V

You're absolutely right Phil, my mistake. Thanks for pointing that out. I just envisioned this poor soul banging his head on the steering wheel, trying to figure out, what the hell is this 1441 code?...=)
    But you've got to admit, the "flash" explanition sucked too...=)

Jr

hummmm well I don't know what your talking about .. do want me to count the flashes to know the code?
    if the code was 1444 what would it be ? I would prefare jumping to conclusions.
    Thanks in advanc guys.

maybe you missed this part

The code 1441 will look something like this....
    Long flash, (indicating starting point)

Flash.....(one second long) indicating first number
    pause,
    Flash, flash, flash, flash (half a second inbetween flashes) indicating the second number.
    pause,
    Flash, flash, flash, flash (half a second inbetween flashes)
    indicating the third number.
    pause.....
    Flash, (one second long) indicating the fourth number.

just add 3 more to the last 'flash'

Default tried it but nothing happend !!

Hi ... I have tried this but I don't think something has happend, I made this 2 times. I don't know if I made it right but I will tell you what I did.

I have put the ignition switch on, the place were the meters start. then pressed 5 times to the kick-down button. but I didnt see anything.

I did one things today morning I have cleaned the AFM resistir path and bent the connector to use a new path on the resistor. I don't know if this was the problem. but the idle is still bad when the AC is off. when it's on it idles fine. also @ 5000 RPM engine seems to lose torque, I have also watched the M/Gal meter 2 speed around 200Km/h the meter doesn't point to minimal M/Gal as if it's not having enough gas. by the way I already replaced the fuel pump, gas filter, spark plugs, air filter, oil and finally water pump as it has cracked 5 days ago. I'm going with this. Chip is DME type not modified yet. the whole engine is the original settings. I have doubt with the fuel pressure valve and the AFM. I really dont know were to start. sorry for the long msg here but there should be somewhere to start. I wish I can get help.