GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: 525i SE auto..problem?

Default 525i SE auto..problem?

Hi

Need a bit of advise from those with more knowledge than myself on these things..........appreciate any help anyone can give.

I recently bought a 91 525i SE auto in immaculate condition, 96K, with full service history from a local dealer. It has a 3 month warranty.

It always starts "on the button", and goes well enough (although its not what i would call....very fast....its certainly no Jag!), but im starting to wonder about the transmission.

A lot of the time if I put my foot down hard-ish, on pulling away, on the change from first to second, there is what appears to sound like a momentary "slip". Its only a fraction of a second, and it DOESNT do it when i stick my foot down gently. All of the other gear changes sound and change normally.

Do you think that this sounds like a cause for concern?
    Or is this normal?

Are there any easy "tests" i could try out to see if my transmission is ok?

thanks for any help!

Chris in London

Default Not one??????

Quote Originally Posted by britbeemer
    Hi

Need a bit of advise from those with more knowledge than myself on these things..........appreciate any help anyone can give.

I recently bought a 91 525i SE auto in immaculate condition, 96K, with full service history from a local dealer. It has a 3 month warranty.

It always starts "on the button", and goes well enough (although its not what i would call....very fast....its certainly no Jag!), but im starting to wonder about the transmission.

A lot of the time if I put my foot down hard-ish, on pulling away, on the change from first to second, there is what appears to sound like a momentary "slip". Its only a fraction of a second, and it DOESNT do it when i stick my foot down gently. All of the other gear changes sound and change normally.

Do you think that this sounds like a cause for concern?
    Or is this normal?

Are there any easy "tests" i could try out to see if my transmission is ok?

thanks for any help!

Chris in London

Not one answer????????........

Come on guys......help me out here.

Is it cos Im mentioned.......the J*g?

Well, I'm no expert, but any slip is not normal and can indicate wear. This also assumes your transmission fluid is at the correct level. Low tranny oil can always raise issues. You just never know about automatic transmissions. They can go on you overnight, or last another 100k miles. If you seen the latest Roundel Magazine (prolly not cause your in GB) there are numerous articles in the tech section all titled "Automatic Transmissions Suck"!

Another suggestion for posting is to repost (or bring to top of page) first thing Monday Morning as there are many who only view the board during "working hours".

A Bimmer Nut for sure: '04 530im (current daily driver), '97 m3, '98 323is, '99 Z3, '01 740iL, '06 330cicm zhp, '02 R1150R, '69 r60, Owner/Operator of www.Bimmer.info and www.BimmerNut.com
    And I still maintain: '90 535im (sold to daughters best friend, one of my favorite bimmers), '92 525im (daughters other best friend now drives this one).

Thanks Ed..appreciate it.

Check your records first but might be a good idea to perform a complete tranny service with filter, gaskets and ATF. Even though you have records you might never be 100% sure what was done. Might even be a good idea to find someone other than the dealer you bought from if you don't perform the work yourself.
    Also, maybe even go with synthetic ATF. I've had good results so far with Mobil1 Syn ATF.
    Congrats on the recent purchase!
    John R.
    1992 525 IA, EAT chip, 16 x 7.5 Rondell 58's, BavAuto Springs, Bilstein Sports, Elipsoid Smileys & fogs, Z3 Pistol grip shifter, 4 VDO gauge package, Azure Blue w/nice patina - clearcoat shot

Thanks John. Ive always been a Merc or Jag man in the past, but I was looking for a new (second-hand-new) motor when i saw this in a local car dealer. Its absolutely immaculate condition inside and out, and some old fella owned it having it serviced at the main dealer right until this year when he traded it in for a new beemer.
    I find the car is a bit of a "curates egg" in that some bits are very very good (straight line stability, quality of manufacture), and other bits are not as good as i have found on other cars (those previously mentioned specifically), such as low-down "grunt" (torque - it might be that the car is a bit under-powered being only a 2.5...it doesnt quite feel like it has the same top-end "go" as my old 2.8SE Merc, or my two previous XJS's).
    anyway...i think i might percivere with it, as it does have some good qualities, which i really like.
    thanks again.