GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Don't ever ask, "what else can go wrong"?

Default Don't ever ask, "what else can go wrong"?

I pulled the radiator out of the car today (see overheating post for the whole sad story, well, better not). Anyway, I took it to a radiator shop and the guy says, "you got blockage in there". So, I asked how much for a new one? He said, "save your money, I can rod it out". I said I didn't think it could be done. He assured me HE could and it'd be $70.

Usually, in these cases, I'm not one to cheap out, but I've put a bundle in this car this month and another wad of cash into my E39, (can you say A/C compressor?). SO, I figure, it's a cheap way of finding out IF it's the radiator causing the problem. The guy says to give him a couple hours.

I showed up and he's gone for the day. his wife was there and proceedes to tell me they had a problem with one of the tanks. Seems it now leaks like a sieve! So, not only don't I know for sure if it's the radiator, I ain't got no radiator.

I can't wait to see what this guy has to say tomorrow. I think I'll just get the carcas back and buy a new one. No telling what this genius has done, or will do to it to make it stop leaking...until my check clears.

we advise our customers to nut up and buy a new radiator instead of repairing the old one, it's too easy to hurt that aluiminum head and it aint that much for a new unit if you shop around
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

get your check back/stop check and get a new one. I understand his theory in that he is like me, if it comes apart i can fix it, mostly a couriosity thing. The fact that he "dissapeered" is totally lame and if he dont have a brend new one for 30 more dollars I would be seriously pissed.

Maybe he ran out in an effort to save face cause he almost promised he could fix it and is a man of his word, maybe he will fix it? I wouldnt count on long term however.

I am contradicting myself here but im as curious as you are as to what happened and IF it was the problem and what his story is going to be when you see him tomorrow.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

I had mine rodded out for 1/10th the price of a new one. The dealer had it done, and did the labour to remove/reinstall/bleed (4.5 hrs) for free, since they replaced the faulty fan clutch and it was still overheating.

You could always try a used radiator if you're worried about costs, just make sure it's flow-tested so you don't get another bad one.

No, like winfred and regal said, it's time to get a new one. As I said, when it comes to these things, I will usually not "cheap out". But, after what I had spent and not being sure if the radiator was the problem, I had a weak moment.

I can get a new one local for under $250, which is just a few bucks more than I can get one from BMA. But, I need to get this resolved, so I need it today. Otherwise, I'd be on the phone with Yeves at BMA, they are awsome. I got my heater core from them abd saved $60 over anyone else.

I hadn't paid anything yet, so no risk there. I talked to the guy this morning and he didn't give me any trouble. I just told him I wanted my old one back.

I cannot wait to see if this will solve your overheating problem... If you were locally (Canada) I would have given you a break on the price...
    '85 Euro 635csi Race Turbo, megasquirt, Group A
    '92 525i Touring 5 speed, 3.46 diff, UUC 8.5lb flywheel, soon to be turbo.
    '02 Subaru WRX Wagon with STI springs, bigger sway bars

Default do a search here for radiator...

I think there is 2 places people have been getting them, one is

radiator.com or maybe it was radiators.com

hmmm seem like the same joint but thats what the search came up with,

www.radiator.com

check both places?
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

I don't know the difference between the earlier and later engines and if they used different radiators but I replaced mine a few months ago with a new NISSEN radiator I bought on E-bay for $179.00. I couldn't tell the difference between the two. Everything bolted up properly. It took about 3 hr. start to finish including the bleeding of the system. My car is a '91 w/ M-50 non -vanos. I guess it would fit your car?

Installed 2 Nissens Radiators from BMA with no problems with fitment or performance.

One in a 1988 535is and the other in a 1990 735il

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast