GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help with relay wiring (low beam warning)for HID!! Please?

Default Need help with relay wiring (low beam warning)for HID!! Please?

I have a HID system giving me that classic low beam warning on the dash. I'm trying to get rid of the warning.I have 2 Bosch 5-pin 12V relays w/harnesses. They are rated 20/30A and I' ve upgraded the headlight fuses to 20A (from7.5A) each. I have blown the fuse 3x and can't seem to get it right....Somebody know the proper wiring??? Here's how I wired it; as a Normally closed arrangement - I have pin #85 as ground, pin #87a to the high beam positive lead and pin # 86 and #30 both wired to the positive low beam lead....Is this right?? If it is, it keeps blowing my fuse and I have only 1 left! Urrrgh! Thanks in advance to whoever can help me with the answer.

King Of NYC

Quote Originally Posted by rockyfeller
    I have a HID system giving me that classic low beam warning on the dash. I'm trying to get rid of the warning.I have 2 Bosch 5-pin 12V relays w/harnesses. They are rated 20/30A and I' ve upgraded the headlight fuses to 20A (from7.5A) each. I have blown the fuse 3x and can't seem to get it right....Somebody know the proper wiring??? Here's how I wired it; as a Normally closed arrangement - I have pin #85 as ground, pin #87a to the high beam positive lead and pin # 86 and #30 both wired to the positive low beam lead....Is this right?? If it is, it keeps blowing my fuse and I have only 1 left! Urrrgh! Thanks in advance to whoever can help me with the answer.

Try this method http://www.bbesound.com/bmw/hidinstall/

Joe

Yes that site is exactly what I am following....and it isn't working....I'm just blowing fuses! Like the Dave says #85 is ground, #87a is high beam (+) and #86 and #30 are low beam (+).....it dosen't seem to work! Is there a mistake on his diagrams? I'm sure quite a few of you guys have tried Dave's method. Or maybe I'm doing something wrong but I've double...quadrupled checked and everything is identical to his diagram/pics.

King Of NYC

Hay guys!! I know somebody has had to have used Dave's method on [url]www.bbesound.com/bmw/hidinstall ....somebody help me oout! Got wires hangin around for answers. Somebody? Anybody?

King Of NYC

Email sent... Hehehehe. I have reviewed that schematic Dave provided... nothing wrong with the way he did it.

81 in the picture is supposed to be 86
    85 is ground

87A is normally closed circuit to high beam positive
    30 is low beam positive

The only way you could blow fuses is if you wired it by mistake like you mixed up between 86 and 87A or 30

You must make sure you relay has 87A... 87 is not the same thing... 87 is normally open circuit.

Also, Brown wire on factory harness is ground...
    Last edited by Tiger; 10-08-2004 at 08:46 AM.

Thanks for the Email Tiger. You're the man!! Yes I have also seen that schematic before you sent me too. I have some basic knowledge but I'm no electical guru. I was hoping you in particular would reply as I know you're knowledgable about this and you make a resistor yourself for other people. (Frankly I should have gone that route since you offer the resistors at such a reasonable cost, but I already bought these expensive relays; gotta use em). I've also seen a very simple method of simply wiring in citylights/eyes/markers in parallel to give the satisfactory resistance for the OBC, but I'd rather have all those turn on independent of the HIDs. It took me a couple reads to get what Dave was talking about and everything seems to make sense...The only reason I questioned his schematic is that it just seems weird that both #30 AND #86 are wired to the low-beam positive and I was trying to figure if this was causing a short somehow. I surely connected everything right but something must be loose/disconnected as the fuses keep blowing. I surely have used 87a to keep the N/C circuit and not 87. I'll take it all apart and carefully rewire....but 1st I gotta go to the auto store and reload on 20A fuses!

King Of NYC

i have my Phillips ballasts direct on the plugs for the 9006 bulbs, and i have no issues with Low Beam

Some HID kits incorporate a small resistor to eliminate this problem, or maybe your OBC is not bothered. This problem is really starting to irritate me. Consider yourself lucky.

King Of NYC

Default maybe different years incorporate different leads for the lights?

such as #87 isnt low beam+ and is something different? Have you double checked everything with a voltmeter?

sorry if these are stupid questions.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Just to make this more confusing?!?! OK, I spent like over an hour this time rewiring/reconfirming....Blew 2 more fuses...Then I thought let me disconnect this passenger side for now and move onto the driver's side (On Dave's site the relay was needed on only the passenger side for an unknown reason. So I did this side 1st as per his suggestion) I even switched the relays thinking it may be defective in itself. GUESS WHAT? No fuse blown and everything seems fine...except the low beam warning was still there....so then I reconnected the relay to the passenger side and POOF! There went the passenger side fuse AGAIN! But the driver's side is still fine. And they are both wired the EXACT same way UuUuRRGH! I'm about to drill some holes in the headlight reflectors with some 194s in grommets wired in parallel as citylights and call it a day! (OK let me calm down, it was just an idea)

King Of NYC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast