GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bad gas mileage

Default Bad gas mileage

Hey guys,

New here, I have a 1990 525i with 127k mi, calypso red. I would post a pic, but have no where to host it.

When I bought it a little over a year ago, It was pretty sound, but now it seems as if It's starting to fall apart.

The OBC is telling me 12.8 - 13.4 mpg on average around town, but around town for me is 90% of the way a steady 45 - 50mph. (long road cuts through middle of the city) Also the engine is getting very rough. If I hold it steady at 2k rpm, I can feel it miss every few seconds. It also likes to get rough enough (in cold weather, regardless of engine temp) to rattle my door panels. I replaced all of the filters, recent oil change, changed spark plugs. Tested the o2 sensor and it seems to be responding within the range of voltages as on http://www.wps.com/LPG/o2sensor.htmlhttp://www.wps.com/LPG/o2sensor.html
    Also - it doesnt like load from what I can tell. If its cold outside and ONLY if its cold outside (first start of the day) When I shift it from park, engine speed drops to barely over 250rpm and the car shakes violently and it slowly catches itself back up to the usual steady 600.

also : off topic, but its developing some steering play, how often is it the box? whats the price to rebuild that thing?

I know this was a lot, but I would greatly appreciate any help I can get. I'd hate to part with my car, but this kind of stuff makes it feel real beat to me

Thanks so much!

the box is adjustable....very difficult to adjust properly, but i did it succesfully.

I also did the box adjustment. While it tightened up the feel of the steering, there was still a good bit of play left.

Default poor gas mileage

sounds like you're running in a default. if your o2 sensor is bad it will send a signal to run open and not adjust for driveability. check engine codes to determine any problems with your o2 sensor. you cannot determine o2 problems simply checking the sensor w/ a meter.

stomp test is due
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Thanks for the replies so far.

I've done the stomp test and have absolutely no codes.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypr5
    Thanks for the replies so far.

I've done the stomp test and have absolutely no codes.
    Do you mean you got nothing, or code 1444. 1444 means no codes stored, but absolutely nothing means it didn't quite go into display mode, or the bulb is burnt out (or missing). I have the older DME version, which doesn't support a bulb, if there's one in it blinks all the time, but you can put one in just while you do the stomp test and it will readout the codes. The check engine light should come on with the key in the running position, but engine off, then go off once engine is started.

It does the 1444 repeatedly... never stops.

Did you try tightening the collar nut for the steering? It's behind that panel just above your knees. It made a nice difference with my wandering steering. I think Bruno's site has the procedure.

Default even without codes it sounds like either O2 sensor or a temp sensor.

unless you have leaks in the intake system. check that again extra careful, I had a leak on the bottom side by the intake manifold on mine that took me a while to find in my haste.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast