GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Water Pump Gasket

Default Water Pump Gasket

So my 1992 525i occasionally dispenses radiator fluid right out the front of fan pulley, not always, just 1 out 5 drivings. So I ordered and received a new water pump, metal impeller version, but there is no gasket in the box. I shop around for one, but no one seems to have one. Does this mean there isn't a water pump gasket?

Did it come with an "O" ring? If I remember right, you need an "O" ring, not a gasket.

Nope, just the pump in a box. No rings, no gasket, nuttin'.

somebody may of filtched it, all of the m50 pumps i've installed have come with the o-ring
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

i just replaced the water pump in my 525 as well. i got my pump from autozone, and it didn't have a gasket either. i just used some gunk/seal/gasket stuff that my buddy had in the garage to ensure a good seal.

I've been driving around about a week since that installation, it seems to work fine. i can find out what that gunk was if you want, but you can probably find something similar at any old autoparts store...

-balt

Default There won't be a gasket in the box. The black o-ring...

Quote Originally Posted by all2kool
    So my 1992 525i occasionally dispenses radiator fluid right out the front of fan pulley, not always, just 1 out 5 drivings. So I ordered and received a new water pump, metal impeller version, but there is no gasket in the box. I shop around for one, but no one seems to have one. Does this mean there isn't a water pump gasket?
    is already installed on the pump. You don't add a gasket to seal the pump to the front of the motor. You just lube the o-ring lightly with antifreeze to get it to slide into the bore smoothly, then tighten it to something like 9-10 ft-lbs. There are NO "gaskets" on my '95 M50, only three sealing rings (one for the thermostat housing, one between the thermostat and the thermostat housing, and the third on the water pump.
    Last edited by billb; 10-06-2004 at 09:43 AM.
    Bill B.
    95 525i