GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: OT: Looking for advice on a Ford Expedition drivetrain problem

Default OT: Looking for advice on a Ford Expedition drivetrain problem

My 2001 Expedition seems to be having a problem when shifting into overdrive (4th gear). It makes a shuddering sound that I can only describe as similar to when you drive on the shoulder of the highway and your tire hits the small rutts designed to wake you up. The more load I put on the drivetrain by accelerating harder, the louder it is.

I checked the fluid, it is proper level and does not appear discolored / burnt.

I recently installed 4 new continental tires, balanced and 4 wheel alignment.

Any ideas appreciated.

Also, if there is a web site like this for Ford, please advise.

A mechanic friend of mine had same problem with his 2001 Lincoln Navigator... same tranny as yours. He was driving on highway... lost 4th gear... then gradually lose other gears and finally kaput. He has reverse though! These tranny has common problem of failure and widely known... You just have to tear it apart and rebuild it. You can get a rebuilt one for $1100 with good warranty.

are you certain that no one recently put dextron III mercon in there instead of the mercon V? most of the fords of that vintage seem to require the semi synthetic mercon v.....maybe that's someplace to start if someone else touched the vehicle.
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."

I searched internet for all info and everyone said same thing... crappy tranny.

Ford automatics are VERY finicky about fluid. They will pretty much fail with the wrong fluid. I would not drive it til you get the correct stuff in there.
    1995 540iA M-Sport - 76k miles. 1 of 1 auto AW3 cars.
    1995 540i/6 - Misc Parts donor for above.

The tranny in your Expedition is a 4R70W right? just so you know, this transmission's debut was in the 1971 Ford Pinto (one of the biggest pieces of **** in automotive history if you hadn't heard). Yes, the old A4LD had an overdrive slaped on it and they now call it a 4R70W. so that's what you're dealing with. In all honesty, they have been using this for 30 some years now and actually have the bugs worked out of it by now, but the pedigree is certainly not to be considered royalty. I have rebuilt many, many of these and what other people have said is quite true. use the right fluid, change the filter every 30K or so and you should be good. If there is significantly more mileage on the vehicle by now and it's not been done, change it, but most likely you can get ready to replace the tranny soon. If taken care of, I have seen Expeditions get more than 150K on one of these. anything after 100K and you're lucky.

Default Crappy tranny in 2001 Expedition...

Thanks for the replies. I bought the truck, 2001 Expedition Eddie Bauer with 38k miles for the wife and kids. She drives about 7500 or less miles a year so I figured it should last her a long time. It now has 52k miles.

The truck has the 5.4 liter engine and is always in AWD mode, or it can be put into 4WD High or 4WD Low. It is possible the fluid could be wrong, I will replace it and the filter immediately for preventative maintenance and see what happens.

Thanks again

Default Hey Charlie...appreciate the info (more)

I, too, have an '01 Expy XLT w/ towing pkg which I bought new, and have loved every second of ownership. I'd heard 'rumors' that the Ford truck trannies weren't great, but we've not abused it, towed only some light loads of firewood, and have had all the maintenance (incl tranny fluid) done by my dealer as per spec.

We're at approx 65k right now, and our ext warranty is nearing its end, so I'm really hoping that if we have a problem, it happens sooner than later. Out of curiosity, what do you typically charge for a rebuild/rebuilt unit + installation?

TIA,
    Tim G
    '91 535iM
    '01 Expy XLT

Quote Originally Posted by charlie
    The tranny in your Expedition is a 4R70W right? just so you know, this transmission's debut was in the 1971 Ford Pinto (one of the biggest pieces of **** in automotive history if you hadn't heard). Yes, the old A4LD had an overdrive slaped on it and they now call it a 4R70W. so that's what you're dealing with. In all honesty, they have been using this for 30 some years now and actually have the bugs worked out of it by now, but the pedigree is certainly not to be considered royalty. I have rebuilt many, many of these and what other people have said is quite true. use the right fluid, change the filter every 30K or so and you should be good. If there is significantly more mileage on the vehicle by now and it's not been done, change it, but most likely you can get ready to replace the tranny soon. If taken care of, I have seen Expeditions get more than 150K on one of these. anything after 100K and you're lucky.

it's a $1200- $1500 job depending on the shop.