GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Oh no I need a new bottom end in my V8!

Default Oh no I need a new bottom end in my V8!

Hi guys,

I have made a few posts having recently bought an E34 540 and just wanted to update you on the latest rather scary news.

I have just sent the car to my local BMW dealer Sewell Bishops Stortford and got them to carry out a cylinder compression test and a leakdown test.

She failed and I am now seriously worried about the next step.

I have spoken to BMW GB and they told me that under 100K they would replace the block and pistons FOC. My dealer is pursuing a warranty claim for me so I will let you know how I get on. I just pray that they get the go ahead to do the engine work as otherwise I don't know what I am going to do.

I guess the moral of the story is to always have the engine check done on any nikasil affected engine before you buy. I rushed in having fallen in love with the car and I just hope I don't end up seriously regretting it.

Keeping everything so damn tightly crossed you wouldn't believe.

Ben.

Default Sorry for your loss...of compression-

Quote Originally Posted by ben wilamowski
    I guess the moral of the story is to always have the engine check done on any nikasil affected engine before you buy. I rushed in having fallen in love with the car and I just hope I don't end up seriously regretting it.

Ben.
    Exactly. V8s were prone to this, and a full leakdown test should be part of any prepurchase on a 530 or 540. That said, there are plenty of Nikasil V8s still in operation...

And I thought BMW was only paying for parts, not for labor...might want to check that.
    Bill B.
    95 525i

did they really do compression/leak down tests or did they hook it to the modic computer and look at cylinder burn time and draw conclusions like the dealer does here? we did a 94 740il that wound up being a failing fuel pump instead of the short block that the dealer said it was, but if they want to pay for it who cares go for it
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

They tell me that they did a compression test and a leakdown test and they then gave me the numbers and proceeded to tell me that these are out of spec.

I agree if I can get a new engine from BMW it will be a great result. I will then keep this car for life, I need to spend at least £1,500 - £2,000 getting it how I want in terms of mechanics / suspension etc so I just hope they do the engine for me.

Ben.

When they replaced the block on my 530 BMWNA paid for parts and labor. I still spent about $1,500 extra having them replace hoses, pumps, etc. while they had the engine apart.

Odd that your engine failed as I thought most if not all Nikasil problems were traced to high sulphur fuel here in the US. And even then the fuel in the eastern US was much worse on Nikasil than in the west. Good luck.

Curt.
    1994 530iT

I don't believe it... you are in UK... you shouldn't have that problem at all.

how did the car run before all this?
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

HI guys,

Absolutely fantastic news!!!!

I can't quite believe my luck, BMW are going to fit a brand new Alusil block and pistons and all I have to pay for is the oil and coolant!

I will of course go now and having everything done:

New PCV plate, new oil pump, new water pump, new PAS pump and hoses, change transmission fluid and filter.

Can anyone think of anything else I should do whilst the engine is out?

Also BMW told me that my car does not have seperate gearbox oil and transmission fluid, it is the sealed for life 5 speed unit, is that true?

I have asked them to change the fluid anyway to be on the safe side.

I can't wait to get this car absolutely mint as I want to keep it for good.

Will try and get some pictures up once she's done....

Cheers

Ben.