GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Monster Project update...Foiled!

Default Monster Project update...Foiled!

Rats! I got everything together, (figured out the stepper motor problem). I was advised that before I fired her up, I should turn it over, sans spark plugs to make sure it was pumping oil. After 3-4, 30 sec attempts, I'm not seeing any oil spurting out of the oil galleys.

Should I keep trying or quit? I also have a coolant leak at the water pump. I didn't use any PermaTex, the Bentley didn't say to, I hope that's all it is. Should I have used PTex?

I must say, I'm disappointed. Any help/encouragement would be appreciated!
    Bill

Default Take heart... m=>

If you coated the inside of the cylinder walls with a thin film of oil, I think you should be okay as far as firing her up is concerned for a bit longer. But before doing so wait until others chip in because I don't know how long it takes for the oil to start circulating through the oil galleys. I already got my head installed and plan to pour oil all over the valvetrain... just to compensate for the momentary try startup. Can't remember if you did any work on your oil pump but if you did, it is possible that the sprocket slipped off. Winfred recommends to use thread locker for further insurance.

As for the the water pump, there is a paper gasket that is sold but if don't have one, then use hylomar. I used it before and it is a good dressing/sealer...

No specific advise just offering moral support.These setbacks and your persistence will make it seem more worth while in the end....and of course we learn from our errors!.Good luck!
    Gone but not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by Hector
    If you coated the inside of the cylinder walls with a thin film of oil, I think you should be okay as far as firing her up is concerned for a bit longer. But before doing so wait until others chip in because I don't know how long it takes for the oil to start circulating through the oil galleys. I already got my head installed and plan to pour oil all over the valvetrain... just to compensate for the momentary try startup. Can't remember if you did any work on your oil pump but if you did, it is possible that the sprocket slipped off. Winfred recommends to use thread locker for further insurance.

As for the the water pump, there is a paper gasket that is sold but if don't have one, then use hylomar. I used it before and it is a good dressing/sealer...
    Thanks Hector. I did put a light film of oil in the cylinders and I also poured oil all over the valve train before trying to turn it over. I might have lost the prime on the oil pump. I let it sit with an empty (drained it for three days) oil pan for about two weeks.
    Last edited by Mr. BILL; 09-30-2004 at 07:08 PM.

Thanks for the kind words!

AHH, SUCCESS! Turned out I wasn't letting the engine turn over long enough. Now I have earl running thru her veins!