GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: OT: Winfred/BillR/Etc '87 Cutlass Pwr. Steer Low... top off with what?

Default OT: Winfred/BillR/Etc '87 Cutlass Pwr. Steer Low... top off with what?

I know we use Dexron III ATF fluid. I checked the color in the resevoir, it's red/brown. This girl is bugging about her steering groaning, i pretty much figured low level instantly. Also, her reverse gear engages (Automatic) but when she gives gas, it revs but does no accelerate... she has to reverse at idle. Torque converter? no idea... auto trans sucks.

i sincerely doubt that the right stuff is in there. the oldsmobiles of that vintage (mid 80s) had a recall on the rack for some reason. i think that GM has a cold weather PS fluid for it, which is actual PS fluid. i'd call the local gm place and ask if nobody else knows. maybe somebody tried to nurse a dying rack along by replacing the PS with ATF? autotrans, i have no idea about.

here's monsieur goodwrench's product:

http://www.gmgoodwrench.com/PartsAcc...eProducts.html
    Last edited by ryan roopnarine; 09-30-2004 at 03:49 PM.
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."

Default Auto trans rocks!

Quote Originally Posted by Jon K
    I know we use Dexron III ATF fluid. I checked the color in the resevoir, it's red/brown. This girl is bugging about her steering groaning, i pretty much figured low level instantly.

dextron 2 or 3 dont really matter in those steering systems, even type F is OK. Their all backwards compatible.

Also, her reverse gear engages (Automatic) but when she gives gas, it revs but does no accelerate... she has to reverse at idle. Torque converter? no idea... auto trans sucks.
    Trans filter is partially clogged ill bet, change it out and then see if it's better. A lot cheaper to do than a BMW trans. Reverse usually slips first because it uses 2 passages to engage the forwards clutch where drive (1,2,3, overdrive) uses one passage.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

uuhhhhh yea what they said
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Default that car dont have a rack,

that car dont have a rack, it has a steering box with the pitman going directly to the steering linkage (right?). The brown fluid is normal since it has never been changed, no one changes it like we do in our BMWs Regular trans fluid is all you need.
    Last edited by 632 Regal; 09-30-2004 at 04:21 PM.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal
    that car dont have a rack, it has a steering box with the pitman going directly to the steering linkage. The brown fluid is normal since it has never been changed, no one changes it like we do in our BMWs Regular trans fluid is all you need.

Replaced with Valvoline std. PS fluid. Groan is gone. Now, I know im not going to fix this transmission issue, but what i should i tell her about reverse slipping? It's just failure and its something to deal with? It does reverse, just not at anything above idle. Its not worth a rebuild.