Hi everyone,

I got my car back from my mechanic yesterday who had fitted the new ABS sensor - for those of you who were interested and helped on an earlier post the light was coming on as the car began to move. I had done a simple DIY test by jacking the car up and seeing which wheel turned the light on or didn't. As a number of members of this board correctly diagnosed, it was the wheel/sensor which did not turn the light on which was faultly - which may help someone else some time! I found I could spin the front wheels fast enough to make this happen, but you would need to run the car in gear for rear wheels. Thanks to all those who gave advice - the ABS light is now out, but I have yet to test it on a poor surface to find out whether the pedal pulses or not and we avoid a skid.

Now the less good news - my mechanic tells me that my engine needs a new cam in the next few months. Since I don't drive the car every day, I think I can stretch that out to the Spring. I have seen the info on E34.net and I have worked on engines quite a bit in the past - I would rather not spend over £500, say around $1,000, on having someone else do it if possible. My main concern is rusted on bolts etc, taking out the rocker shafts and torqueing the head down again. Can anyone offer personal experience please together with UK costs if possible for parts like cam, followers, rockers, head gasket set and if it is possible to just lap in the valves or head work like new guides and valves is likely at 155,000 miles?

Thanks in advance for any personal experiences.