GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: zimmerman,bavauto???

Default zimmerman,bavauto???

X drilled rotors for front, wich ones will be better? Prices are about the same if I get the Zimmerman from Zygmunt or the ones from bavauto.

I bought the Bav Auto cross-drilled front rotors for my E34 535i about a year ago.. They're nothing special.

Cross-drilling isn't necessary at all for the way I use the car typically, but it does look pretty cool behind my mostly open wheels. The Bav Auto rotors have the tiniest drill holes, and the worst drill pattern I could think of. All the holes were drilled in concentric rings (of which there are three). Really, if you're buying them for 'performance' or appearance - don't bother with the Bav Auto ones.

Not to mention they warp and unwarp whenever they feel like it...

I'll take some pics in a sec so you'll understand what I tried to explain there..

Old (supposedly Brembo) rotors:

Bav Auto rotors:

You can see how the 'Brembo' drilling comprises almost all the swept area of the rotor, and the Bav Auto drilling comprises almost none of it. Not that I believe drilling does anything anyhow - still, if you think it does, don't bother with the Bav Auto rotors..
    Last edited by Mobius; 09-26-2004 at 01:45 AM.

Thanks, I'm going to so Bruno's 850 brake upgrade and need to buy the rotors; was not sure about which ones to get but after hearing your experience with bavauto, I think I'll get the ones from zygmunt. Thank you a lot, Dave.

if your doing the 850 upgrade then I think your completely wasting yout time and dreams on nothing! will probably stop better without the holes and the theory behind the hols is when the rotor gets RED hot it helps dissipate some of the heat a little quicker. With the 850 option I can pretty much bet your not going to even be able to get them red unless your stopping on a steep hill with a motorhome attached to your trailor hitch.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

That might be true about the braking deal, but I think that the X drill rotors will look better with an open wheels than the stock ones, plus I can afford them at this time now, so why not?

Default If it's only for looks

Why not try Ate PowerDiscs. I haven't really heard anyone complain about them, and they wont have any of the cracking problems associated with the drilled rotors.

If you were only interested in performance, get Balo rotors. Until I installed the PowerDiscs, I only used Balo rotors on my BMWs, and never had any warping or any other problems. The only reason I got the PowerDiscs is because I got them for $60 shipped (for the pair) on ebay.

My $.02
    Drew Zacharda
    6-speed Touring

Quote Originally Posted by playero
    That might be true about the braking deal, but I think that the X drill rotors will look better with an open wheels than the stock ones, plus I can afford them at this time now, so why not?
    Drew Z
    Formerly 540iT/6, now . . . 3, 5, 7