GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Project halted by $1.

Default Project halted by $1.

My head, heater core and wiper mechanism replacement project came to a grinding halt today. It seems I have managed to loose one of the nuts that the coolant pipes screw into on the heater core and a tiny retaining clip in the heater box.

Of course no one including the dealer has one in stock. So, I'have to wait for the stealer to order them. I was really hoping to finish this weekend.

mann that sucks! a big project delayed for dumb ****.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

What's the story on the wiper mechanism? I'd be curious in a replacement report on that - I have a spare in the garage but have been too chicken to delve under that valance to replace it. Looks like a complete PITA job.

I think the linkage bushings in my unit are loose. Too much wear from our lovely Seattle winters....

Jeff
    Bellevue WA
    90 535iM - not much stock remains. 3.7 liters, ported head, cammed, 3.73 diffy, M5 brakes, MAFed, yadda yadda yadda
    86 Porsche 951 - Track Toy

Jeff, It's not too bad. Lots of little clips and such. The box that holds the fan motor has some clips inside that are especially tricky on the install. The Bentley has a good description.

It might be more difficult with the intake plenim in place. That's why I decided to do it now. The worst thing is getting to those clips inside the box as well as bending over the engine bay. It' took a little over an our to remove and about the same to install.

Default Thx Mr. Bill...I just swapped out the cabin fan the other night...

..so I'm familiar with that task and the clips. So, once you have the fan out, it's pretty easy to get the wiper linkage out?

Why did you replace it?

thx!

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. BILL
    Jeff, It's not too bad. Lots of little clips and such. The box that holds the fan motor has some clips inside that are especially tricky on the install. The Bentley has a good description.

It might be more difficult with the intake plenim in place. That's why I decided to do it now. The worst thing is getting to those clips inside the box as well as bending over the engine bay. It' took a little over an our to remove and about the same to install.
    Bellevue WA
    90 535iM - not much stock remains. 3.7 liters, ported head, cammed, 3.73 diffy, M5 brakes, MAFed, yadda yadda yadda
    86 Porsche 951 - Track Toy

Yep, once you get the blower housing out, just remove the wiper arms, then the nuts on the wiper studs,the support bracket, disconnect the wire harness and it comes right out.

I replaced mine because it became loosey goosey. BTW, you also need to replace the rubber damper rings that the wiper studs mount into. That's a partial cause for the dreaded passenger wiper arm hitting the hood. The grommet deteriorates, causing the wiper stud to raise up. Damper ring PN's 61-61-1-384-123 & 61-61-1-384-257

Does that make sence?
    Last edited by Mr. BILL; 09-26-2004 at 12:35 AM.