GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: wont start- spark plug mangled!

Default wont start- spark plug mangled!

I put a new starter in a 1990 525i 5spd I just bought. Never saw it run. Now it cranks but still doesn't start. At first I thought it also had a broken timing belt becuase it doesn't sound to have good compression when cranking, but I see the camshaft spinning through the oil fill hole when cranking.

Pulled the spark plugs and tested spark. Has spark. 1 plug looked great. 4 oil fouled and one of them was smashed! The electrode was flattened and knocked over and the tip was even pushed to the side! Does this mean that my M20 has interfered in the past, has bent valves or somehow shrapnel got in the cylinder?
    Thanks
    Henry Helfman

Did you try a compresson check when you had the plugs out. If you don't have compression, particularly on the cyl with the smashed plug, then you probably have bent valves. Bent valves probably from timing belt. My guess is you are looking at a valve job, some new valves, new timing belt, new water pump while you are in there.
    Mike Holbrook
    Meridian, Idaho
    1992 535im, 17", Euro M5 Throwing Stars 8's & 9's, FK-451 235/45s & 255/40s, M5 Sway Bars 25/20, Conforti chip, Lowes Ram Air, glass sunroof

smashed plug is a NO GO. sounds like its a little more severe than bad gas over there. Could be anything from a busted valve head to a shrapnel piston. whatever the cause that thing needs to be yanked and replaced or rebuilt as necessary.

Last time I saw a smashed plug a valve head rolled out the header with about 2 gallons of antifreeze.

windows are cool as long as they arent in your block.

Take pictures!
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

ditto

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal
    smashed plug is a NO GO. sounds like its a little more severe than bad gas over there. Could be anything from a busted valve head to a shrapnel piston. whatever the cause that thing needs to be yanked and replaced or rebuilt as necessary.

Last time I saw a smashed plug a valve head rolled out the header with about 2 gallons of antifreeze.

Take pictures!
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal
    I dont get it.

But yeah I was worried about that. Didn't have my compression tester handy at the time but I did the ol' "finger compression test" on that that cylinder and didn't feel anything when it was cranking. Didn't bother with the other 5. I just want to see this thing fire. Cant see why it would still have a timing belt if it bent valves previously. Will be away this weekend but pics coming monday!

Looks like I'll be parting the car or selling whole. Where should I advertise? Want this thing out of here ASAP!

Default Windows

is a term used when there is a hole through a cylinder wall and the block is unreparable.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Default i really hope this isn't the case

Do these M20 motors crack the block a lot? How can I tell?

Default the sort of damage jeff is talking about

is very obvious...aka leg outa bed...rod out the side.....
    Gone but not forgotten

I didn't notice any holes/cracks on the outside of the block. I wouldn't have bought it if I saw something that obvious.

what's the telltale sign? How are you so certain it's not a top-end problem?

Default did you pull the head yet?

that would tell a tale
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========

John F. Kennedy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast