GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: E34 520i 24v major overheating problems.

Default E34 520i 24v major overheating problems.

Great site, I really could do with some assistance with the order of changing head gasket in my '91' 520i. The garage says needs replacing at huge cost. I have limited knowledge on BMW's. How difficault is it? Can anyone list basic order of removal of head, and what I should do once its off? Garage quote is 2400 euros, at this price I could buy another car! Any help would be great.BG

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gorsuch
    Great site, I really could do with some assistance with the order of changing head gasket in my '91' 520i. The garage says needs replacing at huge cost. I have limited knowledge on BMW's. How difficault is it? Can anyone list basic order of removal of head, and what I should do once its off? Garage quote is 2400 euros, at this price I could buy another car! Any help would be great.BG
    That would be a one day job in a garage, so I'm surprised it's so expensive. In Canada, you could get a head gasket changed for anywhere from $1000 to $1400 CDN which is 1/4 to 1/3 the price you were quoted. You may need to true the head if it overheated.

You should get a Bentleys or other manual to read the procedure to help decide if you are comfortable doing it.

MarkD

Default I wouldnt say that it would be

difficult because its a BMW but would rate the difficulty based on your mechanical knowledge. Im sure there is plenty of specific pointers about the replacement on here if you did a search on head gasket.

Like Mark said you should get a bentlys manual which would be pretty much required on a project such as this one along with an assortment of quality tools.

You will need to have the head pressure tested and checked for cracks while it is off just for common sence reasons, you don't want to do this again back to back.

When you are done there is a specific way to bleed the air out of the system or you will overheat your work. Pay particular attention to this!

Good luck and feel free to post any other questions about your project and I'm sure you will get enough feedback to make you comfortable in doing this project.

Good Luck!
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy