GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: M20 monster project question and progress report

Default M20 monster project question and progress report

I got the heater core out today and hopefully will have all the parts I need by Monday to finish the job.

I have a couple questions please.

1. How do I remove the old camshaft seal from the camshaft cover? I tried to to pry it out without success. Do I need a certain size socket to tap it out?

2. The camshaft cover O ring, does it fit in the groove in the collar? It looks like it does. Do I have to carefully "dig" out the old one?
    It's perfectly flat inside the groove.

3. I removed the injectors from the intake and cleaned them up. They were pretty gummed up. Do I need to install new O rings in the injector tips?

Taking my time and cleaning everything has paid off so far. The real test is coming, let's see if I can get it all back together!

Thanks in advance,

Bill

Anyone?

1. How do I remove the old camshaft seal from the camshaft cover? I tried to to pry it out without success. Do I need a certain size socket to tap it out?

you can drive the seal from the housing with a screwdriver/punch/socket from the back side with the housing supported at it's edges

2. The camshaft cover O ring, does it fit in the groove in the collar? It looks like it does. Do I have to carefully "dig" out the old one?
    It's perfectly flat inside the groove.

yes it goes in there, clean out the old and lubracate the new and be careful when reinstalling housing so it doesn't get cut

3. I removed the injectors from the intake and cleaned them up. They were pretty gummed up. Do I need to install new O rings in the injector tips?

if the old ones are rock hard yes now would be the time to replace them, they are a bitch to do on the car, lube with motor oil, the plastic heat shields are brittle so watch it or get new ones with the o-rings
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Thanks again winfred. You da man!

Update: Got the head on today as well as the timing belt. I checked it 5 times and it always comes out with the cam and crank right on the money! Tomorrow I'll hopefully get the remaining parts and have it finished by the end of the week.