GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: slight "diesel" sound from front of the car/what does a worn tensioner.....

Default slight "diesel" sound from front of the car/what does a worn tensioner.....

sound like? i've had a slight dieseling sound from the front of my engine since my HG repair. it usually gets better as the engine gets hotter. it sounds like a new common rail diesel, NOT an old tymey loud clacka clacka clacka. sounds like its originating in the oil pan, you can barely hear it from the side of the motor. any ideas? can somebody definitively say that that isn't the cause? thanks. with the car being used for livery, i'd really like to fix anything wrong mechanically with it, especially if its inexpensive (parts wise).
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."

i find it highly suspect that no one has ever had to fiddle with either the primary or secondary timing chain tensioners on a m50 before....was trying to make a 2p. est call to our friends at bma, which doesn't seem likely. anyone?
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."

Default What are you up to now??

Quote Originally Posted by ryan roopnarine
    i find it highly suspect that no one has ever had to fiddle with either the primary or secondary timing chain tensioners on a m50 before....was trying to make a 2p. est call to our friends at bma, which doesn't seem likely. anyone?
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

slight, faint dieselish klicka clicka clicka coming from (what would seem) the front of the oilpan. has been occuring forever. no valvetrain noise anywhere else.......the 318is seem to have this problem....i'm hoping that if i take the valve cover off, i'll see a decent timing chain with a little more slack than necessary. 5-20 minutes to replace the lower tensioner....bma should have it for less than $10 shipped. i KNOW someone has had this issue on either a 318 or a m50 motored car, just want to see if what is occuring with me occured with them.

Default You need to come to terms with the 80/20 rule :)

It only takes 20% of your effort to keep a car running at 80% perfect.

If you try to get your car the last 20% of perfection, it takes 4 times as much work to get there.

Personally, I long ago realized that 80% perfect was just fine.

Just let it go. Breaking down on the side of the road is the worst that will happen, and even that is rare. Usually things go from okay to mostly bad before they break altogether, and by then you know what's wrong so you don't have to troubleshoot. Contrast the time and effort of searching down every last thing with the time and effort of waiting until something actually breaks.

It's a paradigm shift for sure, but your life will be much more stress free.

Peace and love,
    Robin

72 Chevy K10
    01 E39 M5

Default yep, had it pretty bad with the 318...

Quote Originally Posted by ryan roopnarine
    slight, faint dieselish klicka clicka clicka coming from (what would seem) the front of the oilpan. has been occuring forever. no valvetrain noise anywhere else.......the 318is seem to have this problem....i'm hoping that if i take the valve cover off, i'll see a decent timing chain with a little more slack than necessary. 5-20 minutes to replace the lower tensioner....bma should have it for less than $10 shipped. i KNOW someone has had this issue on either a 318 or a m50 motored car, just want to see if what is occuring with me occured with them.

changed the hydraulic tensioner and it quietened it down some, but the remaining noise is in the timing chain and guides, and I ain't worried about that until I go into it deep...

and the M50 in the 525 is a little growly, but I'm not sweatin' that either right now...
    Bill B.
    95 525i

Default Robin, you really dont understand Ryan...

If its not broken you cant fix it unless you keep at it for days sometimes.

Ryan, I would say that it kinda sounds like the chains are loose (agreed) and that maybe even all that water injecting might have increased something to the point that its broken and perhaps now you have the chance to fix something that really didnt need fixing before...your goal acheaved!

pull the cover and peek at the chins first, I want to know about this one!
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal
    If its not broken you cant fix it unless you keep at it for days sometimes.

Ryan, I would say that it kinda sounds like the chains are loose (agreed) and that maybe even all that water injecting might have increased something to the point that its broken and perhaps now you have the chance to fix something that really didnt need fixing before...your goal acheaved!

pull the cover and peek at the chins first, I want to know about this one!
    the water injection actually quieted the car down quite a bit. this fix has been a long time coming, its just that i've not isolated the noise until the day that i had it on the jack while i was injecting water.....i thought maybe it was the aux fan..............all im going to say is this....i will not have little punk ass ass-clowns that drive honduh civics scrutinize my underhood noises and accuse me of having a diesel...this has been going on for at least 24k miles now. it was cute when a TDI owner pointed it out, its embarassing when a riceboy points it out, and i want it fixed for that reason alone, NOT because i'm trying to get the car perfect. since the spec'd time to replace it is only about 10 mins,and the part is so cheap, was figuring that i'd do it at my next oil change in a week along with a valve cover gasket. the car is being used to deliver stuff now, and i really don't want her to hurt more than she has to.

Default check the porcelain on the plugs, the water may have busted it off.

been there dont that!
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========

John F. Kennedy