GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Can I use 100LL avation gas?

Default Can I use 100LL avation gas?

I have a 98' M3 with every bell and whistle on it and I was wondering if there are any problems with using a higher octane gas such as the 100 octane low lead they use for aviation. My car is supercharged, intercooled, with an aquamist system and an obd-I conversion car, with upgraded headers and UUC straight through exhaust (with no cat. converters). I need to use higher octane gas because I am running a supercharger and chip that is remaped to use 93 octane or above. So the real question is, can I do this without damage to my engine or other components?

Default The main problem is that 100LL is "Low Lead" not unleaded...

Even though the amounts are reduced from avgas made before the '70s it contains a lot of lead and this is enough to ruin your catalytic converter.
    Mark Hall
    '95 525iA EAT chipped (just one now )
    '98 528iA

Quote Originally Posted by Hallmark
    Even though the amounts are reduced from avgas made before the '70s it contains a lot of lead and this is enough to ruin your catalytic converter.
    But I don't have a catalytic converter...so would the lead content be bad for my engine?

it will not hurt the engine, it will slow down the o2 sensor as it gets coated with lead killing performance, and 100ll avation fuel is formulated to burn at a different rate then ground based fuel (because of the limited o2 and much colder temps way up) i read about exactly what the issues were but it was a long time ago and i can't remember, i think real racing gas will yield better performance

Quote Originally Posted by Matt M.
    But I don't have a catalytic converter...so would the lead content be bad for my engine?
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it