GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: M20 Cracked Head

Default M20 Cracked Head

Well, its been verified, my head is cracked. I have had the worst luck with this car, in fact, repairing what I thought was a blown head gasket was gonna be my last repair just so I could sell it. I've put in too much time and money into this car which ended up costing me way more than the car is worth. Not really sure what to do next, I guess first, I should ask if anybody on here has a known, true, M20 Head which they want to get rid of CHEAP (practically free). It seems if I had just listened to my wife (who is extremely pissed, hehe) in the beginning who told me to get rid of it, I would have saved myself a great deal of money and headaches. Too many times, I have convinced her that I just gotta fix this one last thing and the car will be good. I've gotten offers a while back which I turned down because they were too low, which in retrospect I should have sold it because in trying to get the car up in good running condition, I would have made out better selling it to them for the reduced price in the "broken" condition rather than trying to fix it and get what I wanted for it.I am almost taking this latest news as a sign to just give it up and take the loss. Even if by chance I can get a head for cheap, I am still not sure if I should take up the project since I've been bitten on the ass so many times already by this car. Any advice/offers? I am contemplating parting the car out, but would rather get rid of the car altogether in one piece, $1000? Car as a whole is in good condition, 89 525ia, everything works (windows, electronics, heat, a/c, etc...), has 17" ROH reflex wheels with about 3000miles on 2, and less than 500 on the other 2 tires, cirrrus blue. New parts which I can think of: MAF sensor, TPS sensor, cap, rotor, wires, various hoses, mirror glass, 1 tie rod end, fan clutch... I'm sure there is more, just dont rememeber. I dont have any pics, but should have some soon, car is not with me right now, sitting in my parents garage in rockland county, NY.

You can probably make 2500 or more selling the car for parts.
    But it is a major pain, and it depends on the condition of the parts in the car.

Best would be to put a used, good cylinder head in the car and sell it for 3000 US.

Sorry to hear that.... when the head is pulled... it should always be pressure tested.
    '85 Euro 635csi Race Turbo, megasquirt, Group A
    '92 525i Touring 5 speed, 3.46 diff, UUC 8.5lb flywheel, soon to be turbo.
    '02 Subaru WRX Wagon with STI springs, bigger sway bars

Cant you fix the head? I think its posible.

dont bother fixing the head, get a low mile used one, have it checked and make sure you use new gaskets and head BOLTS.

You have NO choice, fix it!

lol sorry to hear all the bad luck.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

have you considered simply replacing the engine? it might be cheaper to find a used m20 engine and swap out the old than it would be to find a new head, or try to repair the old one.
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."

the crack runs along the inside, right below the cam, by the cam journal? The machinist said it would probably be cheaper to buy a rebuilt head than to have him fix it. My problem with getting a head from a junkyard, is that they are not gauranteed. With my luck, there is a good chance that I will get another cracked head, waste another 75 bucks to get it checked out, have 2 bad heads, and then I'll be even deeper in the hole. I'm telling you man, this is never ending... I live near the bronx, home of Hunts Point, probably americas largest salvage yard, and my experiences with them have always been, sure they will gaurantee your part, but when it comes to the point where you want your money back, they won't...they will issue you a store credit, they will try to find you another one, a different one, but if they dont have anything, you are SOL, and they could care less b/c they already have your money.

Quote Originally Posted by ocampg
    the crack runs along the inside, right below the cam, by the cam journal? The machinist said it would probably be cheaper to buy a rebuilt head than to have him fix it. My problem with getting a head from a junkyard, is that they are not gauranteed. With my luck, there is a good chance that I will get another cracked head, waste another 75 bucks to get it checked out, have 2 bad heads, and then I'll be even deeper in the hole. I'm telling you man, this is never ending... I live near the bronx, home of Hunts Point, probably americas largest salvage yard, and my experiences with them have always been, sure they will gaurantee your part, but when it comes to the point where you want your money back, they won't...they will issue you a store credit, they will try to find you another one, a different one, but if they dont have anything, you are SOL, and they could care less b/c they already have your money.
    Most junkyard will give you a warranty on the part if the part is bad they will give you another one.... I would go this route. Plenty of M20 heads and motors out there.
    '85 Euro 635csi Race Turbo, megasquirt, Group A
    '92 525i Touring 5 speed, 3.46 diff, UUC 8.5lb flywheel, soon to be turbo.
    '02 Subaru WRX Wagon with STI springs, bigger sway bars

Quote Originally Posted by Bruno
    Most junkyard will give you a warranty on the part if the part is bad they will give you another one.... I would go this route. Plenty of M20 heads and motors out there.
    Ok, I guess it wouldnt hurt to at least find out how much...

Default also look around on Ebay and in forum boards classifieds!

Ok, I guess it wouldnt hurt to at least find out how much...
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

that type of crack generaly comes from overheating and is uncommon but it does happin

the crack runs along the inside, right below the cam, by the cam journal
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast