GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Found a nice '95 540i Sport for sale (US M540); few questions

Default Found a nice '95 540i Sport for sale (US M540); few questions

Hola,
    So, by coincidence, I've found a guy selling his '95 535i Sport.
    He seems to know his stuff, the car is red w/ tan interior, TS rims, sports seats, 6-spd, blah, blah.
    70,000 miles.

The bad:
    - original nikasil block; was "check by BMW dealer" and no problems were found, found to be in very good cond; how much should I worry about that?
    - rear passanger side window not working
    - headrests not moving (ha)
    - original suspension; all bushings, shocks, etc, SLS in rear w/ EDC; I'm assuming all shocks/bushing will have to replaced; what's different here then my regular 535? (a lot I assume?)

The good:
    - second owner
    - no major accidnets
    - BMW enthusiast 2nd owner (knows his stuff)
    - $15,000 (negotiable)

Answers, HONEST opinions, thoughts... all is welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Kamil
    Hola,
    So, by coincidence, I've found a guy selling his '95 535i Sport.
    He seems to know his stuff, the car is red w/ tan interior, TS rims, sports seats, 6-spd, blah, blah.
    70,000 miles.

The bad:
    - original nikasil block; was "check by BMW dealer" and no problems were found, found to be in very good cond; how much should I worry about that?
    - rear passanger side window not working
    - headrests not moving (ha)
    - original suspension; all bushings, shocks, etc, SLS in rear w/ EDC; I'm assuming all shocks/bushing will have to replaced; what's different here then my regular 535? (a lot I assume?)

The good:
    - second owner
    - no major accidnets
    - BMW enthusiast 2nd owner (knows his stuff)
    - $15,000 (negotiable)

Answers, HONEST opinions, thoughts... all is welcome
    Opinion: Price is about $2-3000 high for my area. Nikasil will depend on your gasoline supply (needs low sulfur) and what you intend to get out of it. If you want the "guaranteed" 200 K miles, it probably won't, if you want a daily driver and drive low miles (like me) to enjoy and for safety issues, it probably will do what you want. Suspension is dependent on how enthusiastically you want to drive also. IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetwater
    Opinion: Price is about $2-3000 high for my area. Nikasil will depend on your gasoline supply (needs low sulfur) and what you intend to get out of it. If you want the "guaranteed" 200 K miles, it probably won't, if you want a daily driver and drive low miles (like me) to enjoy and for safety issues, it probably will do what you want. Suspension is dependent on how enthusiastically you want to drive also. IMHO.
    Great!
    Yes, I would like to drive w/o worring about the mileage, but I would just have a short commute to work (10 miles each way).

Suspension - well, I would imagine to leave the factory springs in a get Koni red (adj) and replace any worn bushing w/ polyutherine. The factory M springs and sway bars would work for me... and an equivelant of that in the rear. Think of it as slightly upgraded factory suspension.

My sentiment on the price was the same, the car has no shadowline and no LSD.

Great!
    Yes, I would like to drive w/o worring about the mileage, but I would just have a short commute to work (10 miles each way).

Suspension - well, I would imagine to leave the factory springs in a get Koni red (adj) and replace any worn bushing w/ polyutherine. The factory M springs and sway bars would work for me... and an equivelant of that in the rear. Think of it as slightly upgraded factory suspension.

The 540i Sport didn't come with LSD?!? I figured that would be an essential part of the Sport package.

Quote Originally Posted by Cab325i/540i
    The 540i Sport didn't come with LSD?!? I figured that would be an essential part of the Sport package.
    Option.

Everyone is telling me to stay away from this car. :|

Default 9000 max unless everything works and all suspention was done

and then the car wouldnt be worth more than say 11-12K
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Option.

Everyone is telling me to stay away from this car. :|
    Hmm. I always assumed that a sport package or 's' designation had an LSD. I wouldn't necessarily stay away, but I would be worried about the Nikasil problem. I just bought a 540i that has the Alusil replacement, and I had thought that BMW replaced all Nikasil engines. I guess that's not the case. I'm not all that well-informed on E34s yet.

I wouldn't worry too much about the Nikasil, if it hasn't happened by now it *likely* won't any time soon. Check Roadfly and search for "nikasil" and there are some good discussions on there about it. I'd buy a 70K Nikasil car without any worries (after getting a leakdown test done of course).

The price is high for my area (PacNW) but not outrageous. With the busted window and all the other minor stuff I'd offer $13K and see what he says.
    1992 535i TCD-s2

$15k isn't a bad price if it really has the sport package (EDC suspension, M-tech sway bars, M5 brakes, side skirts, M-tech front spoiler, sport mirrors, ///M door sills . . .) If the struts/shocks are worn, you'd either need to replace the whole suspension with a conventional setup, or spring for the $4k (yes, $4k) just for the struts/shocks. LSD was optional -- even on the Sport pkg. The good news is that you can easily source a 3.15 LSD from an E32 750iL to upgrade from the stock 2.93 open diff.

Drew Zacharda
    6-speed Touring

Great!

Drew Z
    Formerly 540iT/6, now . . . 3, 5, 7

Quote Originally Posted by DrewZ
    $15k isn't a bad price if it really has the sport package (EDC suspension, M-tech sway bars, M5 brakes, side skirts, M-tech front spoiler, sport mirrors, ///M door sills . . .)
    Yea, that's what I was thinking, it looks like this but red:

Quote Originally Posted by DrewZ
    If the struts/shocks are worn, you'd either need to replace the whole suspension with a conventional setup, or spring for the $4k (yes, $4k) just for the struts/shocks. LSD was optional -- even on the Sport pkg. The good news is that you can easily source a 3.15 LSD from an E32 750iL to upgrade from the stock 2.93 open diff.
    Can't reuse the springs?

I'll check it out tomorrow, but a lot of people I've talked to pushed me away from it cuz if the engine.
    Heh... very possible that the owner of the car is a member here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast