GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Brake job - pads?

Default Brake job - pads?

The new 540i's brakes have a growl when on the last rotation or two before a stop, sometimes. So I got in there to see if I could see anything that might be causing this weird phenomenon. I noticed that the rotors all have a pronounced lip around the edge, which means I'll be replacing them. I thought I might as well do the pads and a fluid flush at the same time. I'll be getting just standard rotors (Brembo rotors, I believe) and just wanted to ask what you guys/gals use for pads. I have PBR Metalmasters on my E30, but this is quite a heavier car and I don't have enough experience with this car yet to know what's good. HMS recommends EBC Redstuff, Bavauto has Pagid and Mintex pads.

What's good for just normal street driving? This is my wife's car, it will not see autoX or track duty (that's what the E30 is for!).

TIA.

Default brakes ...............

just bumping this up - going to be my next job - after the tires , i was told that front pads and rotors were @ 0% !!!!

i wish i can do this myself , or if anyone knows a bargain shop around northern NJ area please point to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cab325i/540i
    The new 540i's brakes have a growl when on the last rotation or two before a stop, sometimes. So I got in there to see if I could see anything that might be causing this weird phenomenon. I noticed that the rotors all have a pronounced lip around the edge, which means I'll be replacing them. I thought I might as well do the pads and a fluid flush at the same time. I'll be getting just standard rotors (Brembo rotors, I believe) and just wanted to ask what you guys/gals use for pads. I have PBR Metalmasters on my E30, but this is quite a heavier car and I don't have enough experience with this car yet to know what's good. HMS recommends EBC Redstuff, Bavauto has Pagid and Mintex pads.

What's good for just normal street driving? This is my wife's car, it will not see autoX or track duty (that's what the E30 is for!).

TIA.
    I have heard more negative reviews of the Red and Green Stuff having problems after 5-10K miles. Specically a chamfering at the front of the pad causing lots of vibrations. I have to do the brakes on my 5 before it gets cold. I ordered Balo Rotors (OEM) and PBR Deluxe pads. They will give a nice quiet braking experience, they have plenty of grip, and will grip well when cold. They are reasonably priced and offer great performance. My wife and I share the car since we moved up north and only need one car so I wanted to have a quiet experience and a smooth bite that she is used too. Some others swear by Raybesto's Q Ceramics. I have no experience with them but others seem to like them. YMMV.

Good Luck,
    Rory

<Insert list of modifcations or clever saying here>

From personal exeprience on E34 and E30 models there is no problems at all with Greenstuff pads. Both cars have been driven hard and also tracked with good pad wear and not problems with rotors. I also know a number of other people who also use them with great results.
    Geoff
    Sydney, Australia
    '94 525iA

Where are you at?

Default I've installed possibly more brake pads in the last few years than

anybody else that posts on here with the possible exception of Winfred and the pads that I have had the best results with the fewest complaints from customers is the raybestos QS series ceramic pad. Its available for bmw's. Has good braking ability for a street car, no dust, very quiet and a good pedal feel .. the pedal feel is far superior to metalmasters and I install both often. You can get them at any Checkers' auto parts, kragen, advance, pepboys or online from partsamerica.com

Quote Originally Posted by Cab325i/540i

TIA.

Bill R. swears by the Raybestos QS pads and he's probably done more brake jobs than anyone on the board by an order of 100x. They sound perfect for your application. Quiet and low dust.

I have the PBR Metalmasters and they work quite well. I use them for street and track with good results. Only thing about them - and I'm sure you're aware of this - is that they don't bite real well until you get a bit of heat into them. Not the best for the wifey unless she's drivin' it hard...
    Bellevue WA
    90 535iM - not much stock remains. 3.7 liters, ported head, cammed, 3.73 diffy, M5 brakes, MAFed, yadda yadda yadda
    86 Porsche 951 - Track Toy

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger
    Where are you at?

Wayne NJ 07470

Default Brakes are easy

Quote Originally Posted by Drooby
    Wayne NJ 07470
    You can totally do a brake job yourself, all you need are some good jackstands and a few common tools. It's probably one of the easiest DIY jobs out there.

Thanks, everyone! I've heard good things about Raybestos from other people as well. I am not sure what I'll get right now, my brother-in-law recommends Pagid pads which he uses on his 91 M5. Those are the same price from Bavauto as the Raybestos from partsamerica.com. I like Bavauto, as they are only ~50 miles from me and I always get the order the next day.

So anyway, thanks for all your input, it's certainly well received! I continue to do a little price comparison, and I'll probably put the order in later today.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast