GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Jeff N. and anyone else who does track days and auto-x

Default Jeff N. and anyone else who does track days and auto-x

have you guys heard anything about this CG-lock? its the seatbelt lock that provides "80% of the holding power of a harness" it was in this months Roundel. Its about 40 bucks and seems like a good idea, just wondering if youve heard any feedback or input.

thanks.
    jason

Default here is a link http://www.cg-lock.co.uk/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by Jason
    have you guys heard anything about this CG-lock? its the seatbelt lock that provides "80% of the holding power of a harness" it was in this months Roundel. Its about 40 bucks and seems like a good idea, just wondering if youve heard any feedback or input.

thanks.
    jason

Jason - I have one.

Got mine ss part of a promotion and feedback campaign - CG-Lock gave free units to CCA instructors in some chapters. I got one as part of this offer and have been using it daily for about a month or so.

The good news about CG-Lock

- works as advertised. It will lock the lap belt nice and snug. Tension is easily adjustable each time you put it on.
    - I certainly like the feeling of being snugged into the seat even on daily commutes
    - once clipped in, you don't notice it all
    - on track days, it does help hold you in your seat. The comfort seats in the E34 aren't great with lateral support and this helps for sure. Not a good as a say a Schroth 4 point or something but a lot simplier and cheaper.

The not so good news about the CG-Lock

- it's pretty heavy and the belt retractor doesn't work well with it installed. I sort of have to feed the belt back in a bit as I support the CG-lock
    - you have to release the tension and snug it each time. Not hard and you can do with one hand via the convenient tension release but..you still have to do it.
    - i'm always afraid I'm going to slam the lock in the door...and it's built so well it would win I think.

My net net is this:

I like it and it's really nice being snugged in the drivers seat. Works great on track days for sure and it's not that hard to install. However, I wish it was a little lighter. Day to day it can be a bit of a hastle as you have to make sure it's not in the door jam because the belt retractor won't suck up the slack. It's fairly priced I think at $40 - it's well made and not some cheapo thing that's going to break. You just need to decide if you want to manage the unit every day or put it on/off for track days.

Jeff
    Bellevue WA
    90 535iM - not much stock remains. 3.7 liters, ported head, cammed, 3.73 diffy, M5 brakes, MAFed, yadda yadda yadda
    86 Porsche 951 - Track Toy

Default Thanks Jeff! I don't mind dealing with the everyday hassle,

afterall i drive a 14 yr old E34... I think based on your pros and cons I'm gonna pick one up. When i sit in my seat i feel like im on a sofa so any little bit will help.
    Thanks,
    J

the last autox i went to one of the guys there told me about just running a strap around your chest and the seat back, he said one guy in a old vw bug cut a couple seconds off his times with a piece of rope tieing him to the seat back, shouldn't be to hard to find a 2" strap and a adjuster to cobble something together to try for cheep
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Default 2 alternatives

Before track sessions, I put my seat all the way down & back, then tug sharply on the shoulder belt to get the retractor to lock. Then, I put the seat into driving position, holding the shoulder belt tight to keep it locked. Works real well for me.

Another alternative is to get one of those clips that comes with kids' car seats. It does about the same thing as the CG-Lock, but shouldn't cost much, if anything.

My. $.02
    Drew Zacharda
    6-speed Touring

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff N.
    Jason - I have one.

Got mine ss part of a promotion and feedback campaign - CG-Lock gave free units to CCA instructors in some chapters. I got one as part of this offer and have been using it daily for about a month or so.

The good news about CG-Lock

- works as advertised. It will lock the lap belt nice and snug. Tension is easily adjustable each time you put it on.
    - I certainly like the feeling of being snugged into the seat even on daily commutes
    - once clipped in, you don't notice it all
    - on track days, it does help hold you in your seat. The comfort seats in the E34 aren't great with lateral support and this helps for sure. Not a good as a say a Schroth 4 point or something but a lot simplier and cheaper.

The not so good news about the CG-Lock

- it's pretty heavy and the belt retractor doesn't work well with it installed. I sort of have to feed the belt back in a bit as I support the CG-lock
    - you have to release the tension and snug it each time. Not hard and you can do with one hand via the convenient tension release but..you still have to do it.
    - i'm always afraid I'm going to slam the lock in the door...and it's built so well it would win I think.

My net net is this:

I like it and it's really nice being snugged in the drivers seat. Works great on track days for sure and it's not that hard to install. However, I wish it was a little lighter. Day to day it can be a bit of a hastle as you have to make sure it's not in the door jam because the belt retractor won't suck up the slack. It's fairly priced I think at $40 - it's well made and not some cheapo thing that's going to break. You just need to decide if you want to manage the unit every day or put it on/off for track days.

Jeff
    Drew Z
    Formerly 540iT/6, now . . . 3, 5, 7