GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: A fine friday commute (long)

Default A fine friday commute (long)

So I'm heading out to work this morning for my regular 40 minute commute and had just pulled onto the 15/501, a long 2 lane cow road heading toward Sanford from Pinehurst (NC). As I slowly ramp up my speed and begin to taste my morning 55 shimmy for breakfast (outa-round tire I hope), I catch a familure glimpse out the rearview. Off in the distance, a few cars back and around a turn, I see the sides and fogs of what appears to be early BMW. At that distance, it could have been a 3 series so I brush it off and kick it back into 6th.
    I soon have to slow it down as I approach a small town an I spot it again, a few cars closer, black, and definately an e34 - but not wide grill like mine. Minutes later, its on my tail and I noticed something queer, his sideviews aren't square - and I doubletake when I see the pretty colored emblem on his left kidney. Whoa, I gotta M on my ass.
    We soon get back on the 2 lane for another 20 mile stretch, which just happened to have been freshly blacktopped just a few weeks ago. Since I travel this route every weekday morning, I happened to know the twists, turns, and hills pretty good - so the advantage is mine.
    We passed the first bit of traffic like it wasn't there, first me, then him, without so much as a downshift or pause - like we were stuck together. Cruising up and down each hill, and around each curve at between 60 and 80 in the fresh 65F morning air as the sun was rising in front of us..exhilerating. Soon the inevitable happens, just ahead of me is small convoy with a minivan at the lead, followed by some big truck and another domestic sedan. We slow to 50-55 and here comes my shimmy - I hate this speed.. and I'm hoping Mr. M can't see my passenger seat vibrating like a cheap motel-room bed. I soon realize where I'm at and start to cross my fingers in anticipation. YES, as we come over a ridge, I'm elated to see no oncoming headlights down or up the long following hill off into the distance. I drop 2 gears into 4th and wind up my M62 and begin to pass the first of 3. Just then I see headlights, but I know I have it easy, but my friend behind me sure won't - HA. As my pace approaches 90, I slide back into my lane after the minivan with room to spare. As I look back, I once again catch that familure glimpse out the rearview a few cars back.
    We soon get back into town and I immediately get into the right lane and slow to the posted 45 speed limit, a lesson I learned the hard way. Right then the M5 passes me by at 60 - with a thumbs up.
    We end up side-by-side at a stop light and he prompts to to bring down my window. He was a rather dapper gentleman with white hair and a smile on his face. He complimented my ride, and I his, and he was a bit surprised to find out about my 6 speed. Little did he know that I was burning with jealousy over those beautiful throwing stars staring back at me. He said he got his 5 on Ebay with 60K on the clock, now it has 90K. Then the light turned green and off he sped, as I turned into the gas station - just realizing I was on fumes - oblivious.

-jack
    95 540/6
    Pinehurst, NC

Nice, I like those stories.
    In the northeast, I see mostly stock 525's.

Few weeks back I had a little "race" w/ a debadged E34, red, tinted, some 18" bling rims on the Jackie Robison Parkway in Brooklyn... I backed off when the road got twisty, my hankook tires dont insoire too much confidence.

Default Kamil, where are you located?

I'm in NYC, I love the jackie rob especially when you get to put wiseass E36, ricers and benz owners in their place.... they dont know about the old 5er

Good story. It's great to meet a fellow enthusiast and chew up a little pavement together. When I bought my first BMW ahundred years os so ago, all BMW owners flashed their lights at each other when they passed. Kind of a "we're all in the same club thing". Once the first 3 series came out and the yuppies "discovered" BMW, that all went out the window. It's nice to see some comradary still exists.

Curt.
    1994 530iT
    Quote Originally Posted by salansky
    So I'm heading out to work this morning for my regular 40 minute commute and had just pulled onto the 15/501, a long 2 lane cow road heading toward Sanford from Pinehurst (NC).

-jack
    95 540/6
    Pinehurst, NC

I agree, good story...I had a similar experience racing up the everett turnpike with an s4 here in New Hampshire. Instead of a stop light though it was a wave and thumbs up as I broke away to take my exit...

And I agree with Kamil, there dont seem to be many e34's in the northeast; at least not in NH...I've seen a few but mostly stock 525's.

So I'm heading out to work this morning for my regular 40 minute commute and had just pulled onto the 15/501, a long 2 lane cow road heading toward Sanford from Pinehurst (NC).

-jack
    95 540/6
    Pinehurst, NC

'95 540i 6sp, uuc ssk, Dinan chip
    proud member of the nikasil club

Quote Originally Posted by Jason
    I'm in NYC, I love the jackie rob especially when you get to put wiseass E36, ricers and benz owners in their place.... they dont know about the old 5er
    I currently live in NJ, work in NYC (manhattan office, Brooklyn (East New York & Canarsie job sites) and I'm in the process of moving to Boston (drive b/w NYC and Boston like 2-3 per month).

Yea, gotta love the JRP, I drive there mostly at night (for night work) and it's great... always taking the apexs accross the whole road.
    F the double line

Default Why is there an M62 in your E34? nt

So I'm heading out to work this morning for my regular 40 minute commute and had just pulled onto the 15/501, a long 2 lane cow road heading toward Sanford from Pinehurst (NC). As I slowly ramp up my speed and begin to taste my morning 55 shimmy for breakfast (outa-round tire I hope), I catch a familure glimpse out the rearview. Off in the distance, a few cars back and around a turn, I see the sides and fogs of what appears to be early BMW. At that distance, it could have been a 3 series so I brush it off and kick it back into 6th.
    I soon have to slow it down as I approach a small town an I spot it again, a few cars closer, black, and definately an e34 - but not wide grill like mine. Minutes later, its on my tail and I noticed something queer, his sideviews aren't square - and I doubletake when I see the pretty colored emblem on his left kidney. Whoa, I gotta M on my ass.
    We soon get back on the 2 lane for another 20 mile stretch, which just happened to have been freshly blacktopped just a few weeks ago. Since I travel this route every weekday morning, I happened to know the twists, turns, and hills pretty good - so the advantage is mine.
    We passed the first bit of traffic like it wasn't there, first me, then him, without so much as a downshift or pause - like we were stuck together. Cruising up and down each hill, and around each curve at between 60 and 80 in the fresh 65F morning air as the sun was rising in front of us..exhilerating. Soon the inevitable happens, just ahead of me is small convoy with a minivan at the lead, followed by some big truck and another domestic sedan. We slow to 50-55 and here comes my shimmy - I hate this speed.. and I'm hoping Mr. M can't see my passenger seat vibrating like a cheap motel-room bed. I soon realize where I'm at and start to cross my fingers in anticipation. YES, as we come over a ridge, I'm elated to see no oncoming headlights down or up the long following hill off into the distance. I drop 2 gears into 4th and wind up my M62 and begin to pass the first of 3. Just then I see headlights, but I know I have it easy, but my friend behind me sure won't - HA. As my pace approaches 90, I slide back into my lane after the minivan with room to spare. As I look back, I once again catch that familure glimpse out the rearview a few cars back.
    We soon get back into town and I immediately get into the right lane and slow to the posted 45 speed limit, a lesson I learned the hard way. Right then the M5 passes me by at 60 - with a thumbs up.
    We end up side-by-side at a stop light and he prompts to to bring down my window. He was a rather dapper gentleman with white hair and a smile on his face. He complimented my ride, and I his, and he was a bit surprised to find out about my 6 speed. Little did he know that I was burning with jealousy over those beautiful throwing stars staring back at me. He said he got his 5 on Ebay with 60K on the clock, now it has 90K. Then the light turned green and off he sped, as I turned into the gas station - just realizing I was on fumes - oblivious.

-jack
    95 540/6
    Pinehurst, NC
    Drew Z
    Formerly 540iT/6, now . . . 3, 5, 7

Jack, nice to have little experiences like that! I go to a monthly single malt scotch club for dinner and there's this really nice 70+ year old gentleman at the dinners who owns an E36 M3. He loves to chat about driving...driving as in an interactive process between driver, car, road and other drivers, especially when you can go round and round and round and keep shaving your time down until the little beastie is going from horsepower-limited to brakes-limited to horsepower-limited to brakes-limited, etc.... It's kind of funny...last time we were chatting he was dinging "old people" who sit in the left lane of roads driving their Buick LeSabres ( so true!) totally oblivious to what's going on around them. "They give me a bad name!" he says! *LOL* He sounds very much like the gent in the M5 you met...

Drew, I think Jack just accidentally hit the 2 when he meant to say M60B40...

Cheers,
    Duey

1995 540i/6 Sport Pkg w/E.A.T. chip and Nikasil injection Duey's Gallery

why we love these cars....great story Jack,
    George