GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Side Marker Bulb Replacement '90 535i

Default Side Marker Bulb Replacement '90 535i

I need to replace the side marker bulbs on my '90 535i, as all four are out. I did the same thing with my '89, and taking the light assembly out of the car is difficult to do without "screwing them up." This is despite following the owners manuals "use a small screwdiver to pry the light out" instructions.

After replacing the bulbs, the assemblies in the '89 did not go in tightly. Of course, the first one I tried to do on my '90 I had the same problem, despite being careful removing the light, the assembly does not seat tightly back in the car. By the way, even with the new bulb it didn't work, but that's another problem.

So, before I make a mess of the other three, does anyone have any hints as to a better way to remove/re-install the side marker lights?

Thanks,
    - Hal

Yah, I remember doing this a couple of times and it is definately tricky. I can't remember exactly, but I think they don't slide out straight, they might slide out to the back or something. Weren't there metal clips to hold it in again? I think I had to bend them a bit to make it hold tight again. Maybe someone else has more specific instructions, sorry.
    Jon

Default Yes, but...

Quote Originally Posted by JonE
    Yah, I remember doing this a couple of times and it is definately tricky. I can't remember exactly, but I think they don't slide out straight, they might slide out to the back or something. Weren't there metal clips to hold it in again? I think I had to bend them a bit to make it hold tight again. Maybe someone else has more specific instructions, sorry.
    Jon
    Yes, there are metal clips, but even when they are bent as much as possible to try to hold them tight, the light is still very loose...

Yes I had this same problem when I bought the car, the lenses were loose and kept popping out. It was frustrating but eventually an easy fix. You have to bend that metal tab inwards TWICE. Like a C shape. It's kinda hard for me to explain. It's a bad design because if you take the light out you end up unbending that tab. The lens will only stay tightly into the bumper if you bend the tab back properly before you push the lens back in. I hope you get what I'm saying. Funny thing is I changed the front ones to clear ones and the "generic/bootleg" brand had much better/effective , normal looking tabs. The originals have the stupid tabs.
    Last edited by rockyfeller; 09-10-2004 at 10:33 AM.

King Of NYC

Default I'll try it

Quote Originally Posted by rockyfeller
    Yes I had this same problem when I bought the car, the lenses were loose and kept popping out. It was frustrating but eventually an easy fix. You have to bend that metal tab inwards TWICE. Like a C shape. It's kinda hard for me to explain. It's a bad design because if you take the light out you end up unbending that tab. The lens will only stay tightly into the bumper if you bend the tab back properly before you push the lens back in. I hope you get what I'm saying. Funny thing is I changed the front ones to clear ones and the "generic/bootleg" brand had much better/effective , normal looking tabs. The originals have the stupid tabs.
    OK, I'm going to take out the one that I screwed up and try to re-bend the metal. If it works I'll replace the other three bulbs. If not, I may just buy the "generic" ones you mention.
    Thanks,
    - Hal

Okay, I just did this on one of my front markers and thought I would post my technique that I found to be surprisingly easy. I struggled with the rear before and ruined the spring clip. I should have taken a good profile picture of the spring clip if anyone needs to bend one back into shape. It is a must to have a good one to figure out the proper shape to bend it just right.

1) Slide the lamp to the rear (forward for rear lights). Just put your fingers on the lens and slide. You'll get maybe 3/16" of movement.
    2) Pry out the front end of the lamp fixture (rear for the rear lights)
    3) Push it as much as it will go forward (rear with rear lights) with the lamp housing resting on the outside of the trim (it shouldn't pop back in) or just hold it out with a small screwdriver leveraged under. The key is to have it pushed as far as it will allow.
    4) Insert a small screwdriver under the back edge (forward edge on the rear lights) and carefully pop out that end of the light fixture. This is the end with the spring clip. It may help if you can get some leverage to push the light forward as well (rearward for rear lights).

Install is easy enough - I believe it was just reverse of install.

Hope it works for you.