GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Winter Tire suggestions?

Default Winter Tire suggestions?

My wife is now driving the 95 540i, and I'm going to be buying snow tires for it for this winter (we live outside of Boston). She's never had a RWD car, nor anything even remotely close to this much power. It's also a bigger car than she's used to. So she's a little nervous about driving this car in the snow, and I believe in having the right shoes on the car for the snow anyway. Anyway, I have the Blizzak WS-50 snows for my E30, and I just loved them in the snow, but not so much when it wasn't snowing. On my car, I don't mind changing over to the all-seasons when it hasn't snowed in a while and won't for a while, but I'd rather not do that for both cars all the time.

Tire Rack has a couple different recommended tires in 225/60-15, the WS-50 and Pirelli Winter 210 Snow Sport. They also have several different brands in an 205/65-15 (WS-50, Dunlop Graspic DS-2, Goodyear Ultra Grip Ice, Michelin Pilot Alpin PA2, and Michelin X-Ice). I think I'm leaning towards the WS-50, just because I have had good experience in the snow with those on the E30, but the E34 is a different animal.

Anyone have good/bad experiences to relate with any of the listed tires? Should I go down to a 205 width for snows, or is 225 a good snow size for this car?

Thanks.

I have Michelin Arctic Alpin Sports for the Jetta. They were actually pretty nice in the dry/wet, and good in the snow. Not as good as Blizzaks in the snow, but so much better in the dry that I would have chosen them again.

I've driven on Blizzaks once or twice, and I have a cheapo set of Firestone Winterfires that I ran on the RX-7. I've never tried any of the others....

Blizzak's work great on my 535i here in Minnesota. Not sure I'd consider anything else now that I've tried them. I always add at least one or two 40lb. bags of rock salt in the trunk as well. I think the size is the usual 225 15 in.

Im running the Conti-Extream tractions, year round tires look pretty aggressive for winter.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Trust me... Nokian Hakkapelita is what you want.

Default isnt that the leader of Malasia?

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger
    I've heard that brand before, but not seen them for sale on Tire Rack, which is where I usually buy tires. Do you have a source for them, where I could check them out?

Thanks for your response.

BTW, my wife only has about a 3-mile commute, and my ice racing will be done in my E30. So she won't have to be climbing the Swiss Alps in this car in the winter!

Ditto - I have Michelin Pilot Artic Alpins and love them... Blizzaks can be a little squirrly if ya get a warm winter day...

Default Bridgestone Blizzaks

Quote Originally Posted by Cab325i/540i
    My wife is now driving the 95 540i, and I'm going to be buying snow tires for it for this winter (we live outside of Boston). She's never had a RWD car, nor anything even remotely close to this much power. It's also a bigger car than she's used to. So she's a little nervous about driving this car in the snow, and I believe in having the right shoes on the car for the snow anyway. Anyway, I have the Blizzak WS-50 snows for my E30, and I just loved them in the snow, but not so much when it wasn't snowing. On my car, I don't mind changing over to the all-seasons when it hasn't snowed in a while and won't for a while, but I'd rather not do that for both cars all the time.

Tire Rack has a couple different recommended tires in 225/60-15, the WS-50 and Pirelli Winter 210 Snow Sport. They also have several different brands in an 205/65-15 (WS-50, Dunlop Graspic DS-2, Goodyear Ultra Grip Ice, Michelin Pilot Alpin PA2, and Michelin X-Ice). I think I'm leaning towards the WS-50, just because I have had good experience in the snow with those on the E30, but the E34 is a different animal.

Anyone have good/bad experiences to relate with any of the listed tires? Should I go down to a 205 width for snows, or is 225 a good snow size for this car?

Thanks.

3 miles is still 3 miles of possible sliding and stopping... There should be a local dealer near you... Usually the stores for the Nokians are at the area of states where extreme winter is experienced.

http://www.nokiantires.com/newsite/index.html

I buy my tires from Tire Racks too... but for snow tires... I will go anywhere to buy Nokian.

Ice Racing? Then how come you don't know about Nokian... I would say majority of ice racing is done with Nokian Hakka tires.
    Last edited by Tiger; 09-08-2004 at 04:48 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast