GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Need help with window regulator

Default Need help with window regulator

Good morning, hope you all had a great weekend!

I installed driver side rear window regulator over the weekend and I am having a problem. With the limit stop mechanism installed I can not get the window to travel to the fully closed position (IOW- all the way up). Before I rip the regulator back out, I am just wondering if the square shaped socket on the window motor is a fine adjustment screw? Sorry for the lame description, but I do not know what to call it -- I wish I had a digital camera...

TIA
    '94 540I A (149K miles on orig. Nik motor) & EAT enhanced

Default No, it is not, its the bearing point for the worm drive from the

motor, do not adjust it... The stop is as pictured on the front window, the rear is similar, you can adjust it there

Quote Originally Posted by NoSpeedLimits
    Good morning, hope you all had a great weekend!

I installed driver side rear window regulator over the weekend and I am having a problem. With the limit stop mechanism installed I can not get the window to travel to the fully closed position (IOW- all the way up). Before I rip the regulator back out, I am just wondering if the square shaped socket on the window motor is a fine adjustment screw? Sorry for the lame description, but I do not know what to call it -- I wish I had a digital camera...

TIA

Whew, I am glad I asked before I threw a wrench on it. I tried to adjust the limit stop but it did not help. I am was coming up about a 1/4" - 1/2" short of the top. Perhaps, I put something back together incorrectly but I purposely bumped the motor till the moving part was up against the limit stop before installing the window regulator. Since I ran out of time, and rain was pending I elected to remove the stop. How about this idea: since it is working without the limit stop installed, maybe I should permanently leave it out. Do you foresee any problems with that decision? My other thought is to remove the necessary material on the limit stop until it allowed for enough up travel. Any other recommendations would be appreciated.

So, has anyone else ever encounter a similar problem?? If so, then what was the solution?

BTW - Thanks Bill R. for your help, and nice picture!!
    '94 540I A (149K miles on orig. Nik motor) & EAT enhanced