GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Urethane E34 Bushings

Default Urethane E34 Bushings

Hi all,
    I am having the dreaded 50-60 shimmy and am going to replace the rest of the suspension (already replaced struts and springs). I have been reading other posts on this and have decided to wait until I have enough $ to spend to do the whole front end. But I have a few questions before I do it and hoped you guys could help me out a little. Oh yeah, I have Bilstein Sports wrapped in Eibach springs on a 1990 535i. That would probably help.

1) Are the control arms with urethane bushins tighter than the arms with rubber bushings? (I would like to improve the cornering) Specifically those from bavauto.com.

2) Would it be better to get the regular Lemforder arms and insert the urethane inserts from Bruno's site?

3) What experiences have people had with Eibach/Racing Dynamics/M5/Dinan?

4) While I am replacing the suspension and it is off the car what else should I replace?

5) Is there anything I am missing to help tighten up the suspension?

Thanks for all your help in advance everyone.

Phil V

1990 535i

Default upgrade bushings

Quote Originally Posted by Crewblunts
    Hi all,
    I am having the dreaded 50-60 shimmy and am going to replace the rest of the suspension (already replaced struts and springs). I have been reading other posts on this and have decided to wait until I have enough $ to spend to do the whole front end. But I have a few questions before I do it and hoped you guys could help me out a little. Oh yeah, I have Bilstein Sports wrapped in Eibach springs on a 1990 535i. That would probably help.

1) Are the control arms with urethane bushins tighter than the arms with rubber bushings? (I would like to improve the cornering) Specifically those from bavauto.com.

2) Would it be better to get the regular Lemforder arms and insert the urethane inserts from Bruno's site?

3) What experiences have people had with Eibach/Racing Dynamics/M5/Dinan?

4) While I am replacing the suspension and it is off the car what else should I replace?

5) Is there anything I am missing to help tighten up the suspension?

Thanks for all your help in advance everyone.

Phil V

1990 535i
    1 and 2) The "upgrade" control arm bushings is the liquid-filled Boge 750i bushings. As Bruno and others have reported you can get a great deal by buying the Lemforder arms with the Boge 750i bushings already installed from BMA.

3) Dinan's control bushings are basically the liquid-filled 750i bushing. Its my understanding that Steve Dinan was one of the first to discover this "upgrade" for the E28 5 series and is the only one of 2 sources I know of who sell a modify 750i bushing for the E28 (E28 control arms must be milled to fit the 750i bushing).

4 and 5) You should have all the rubber bushings in your front end examined and replace the ones that need it. For example, besides the upper control arm, take look at the lower arms, sway bar links, guibo/flex disc and all the rubber bushings in the rear. Oh yeah, don't forget the struts and shocks. Good Luck!

Default Rrt

Also check Road Race Technology for their sport control arms- not cheap, but will perform the best- hands down. The 750 bushing would be the next choice.
    Good luck-
    Chip
    '92 535i 5sp
    EAT chip, Sachs kit, RRT sport control and upper thrust arms, SS brakelines, Camber plates, Subframe inserts, 3.64 Diff, M5 (3.6L) calipers.
    '87 325iS

I looked around but couldn't find anything on the Road Race Technology control arms. Do you know where I can check them out?

Thanks for the help,

Phil V

Phil,

www.bimmerworld.com has a set of control arm bushings you need to press in yourself; so does www.bmwbushings.com. Both are in the $9x.xx range.
    I guess one could order the arms from BMA then press in the firmer bushings. I went the 750 route and added Bruno's replacement inserts. No pressing involved.
    Ramon
    1994 540iA Nikasil EAT Chip
    Tampa Bay, Florida USA

Default My experience with the urethane is that they're a P.I.T.A

I have the 750 bushings, Bilstein sports and H&R springs w/ racing dynamic sways and the urethane bushings (sway bar bushings at least) make so much noise if they aren't properly lubricated. I try to get to them every other oil change at least. I plan on getting Bruno's parts for the front and rear also. If you have everything apart you might as well replace all the rubber pieces and get it overwith/out of the way. If i could do it over again i would go with rubber bushings for the sake of ride quality and less noise.

Default RRT site info

Chip
    '92 535i 5sp
    EAT chip, Sachs kit, RRT sport control and upper thrust arms, SS brakelines, Camber plates, Subframe inserts, 3.64 Diff, M5 (3.6L) calipers.
    '87 325iS