GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What are the odds a 1995 525 with 120k miles still has a plastic impeller.

Default What are the odds a 1995 525 with 120k miles still has a plastic impeller.

I just picked out a very clean 1995 525 for a friend of mine. She liked it, and did end up purchasing it. An auto with 120k miles for $5900. Very, very clean. I think that's a great deal for a car that has only just now been broken in!!!!

Since I'm most familiar with my two 535's, and not the M50 engine, I've got to ask: with all those miles on the 525 (120,000+), wouldn't the plastic impeller water pump already have been replaced by now, or do I have to break down and take it out to check? I'm just looking for opinions. Thanks all.

A Bimmer Nut for sure: '04 530im (current daily driver), '97 m3, '98 323is, '99 Z3, '01 740iL, '06 330cicm zhp, '02 R1150R, '69 r60, Owner/Operator of www.Bimmer.info and www.BimmerNut.com
    And I still maintain: '90 535im (sold to daughters best friend, one of my favorite bimmers), '92 525im (daughters other best friend now drives this one).

i thought the volk around here were sayin' that you should change any m50 water pump out every 60k because even the new ones were plastic, and its just cheap insurance to do so. with 125/60---would be about time for a new one anyway.
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."

Default Ed, My 92 had one in it until about 6 months ago @ 145k miles....

and it was cracked, spinning fairly freely on the shaft and fixing to "explode"!
    Better check it soon...
    John R.
    1992 525 IA, EAT chip, 16 x 7.5 Rondell 58's, BavAuto Springs, Bilstein Sports, Elipsoid Smileys & fogs, Z3 Pistol grip shifter, 4 VDO gauge package, Azure Blue w/nice patina - clearcoat shot

I would replace that, the thermostat, belts and hoses while your in there, just a maintenance item ya know?
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Done deal, I'll order the parts tomorrow. Thanks all for your most excellent advise, as usual.

A Bimmer Nut for sure: '04 530im (current daily driver), '97 m3, '98 323is, '99 Z3, '01 740iL, '06 330cicm zhp, '02 R1150R, '69 r60, Owner/Operator of www.Bimmer.info and www.BimmerNut.com
    And I still maintain: '90 535im (sold to daughters best friend, one of my favorite bimmers), '92 525im (daughters other best friend now drives this one).

Default Should you replace the plastic thermostat cover?

I have heard, my indy say so, that you should replace the plastic cover with a metal thermostat cover? I understand the cover is the same material as the plastic parts of the radiator.

Quote Originally Posted by Bimmer Nut Ed
    Done deal, I'll order the parts tomorrow. Thanks all for your most excellent advise, as usual.
    Thanks,

1995 525i Auto, M50TU 2.5L, EAT chip, 1/95 build, USA, 205/65/15 tires, ASC+T, HID, lumbar, EC Mirror, BMW Alpine 5 radio with BMW-Pioneer CD Changer, abt 236k miles, Oxford Green/Parchment

Yes, the cover should be replaced with the aluminum one.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

yep the plastic's crap, i've had nothing but bad luck with geba brand pumps, not just on certain models but everything, the bearing craps out. i did a 93 525 that still had the orignal pump (date code was 92) at 189k miles, we bought the car at auction overheating and the impeller was spinning inplace. what's this crap about all of the replacment pumps being plastic? everything i can get has iron impellers graf, geba and hepu, i've seen really shitty autozone bmw pumps with shiney brittle green plastic impellers

Quote Originally Posted by Russell
    I have heard, my indy say so, that you should replace the plastic cover with a metal thermostat cover? I understand the cover is the same material as the plastic parts of the radiator.
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Quote Originally Posted by winfred
    yep the plastic's crap, i've had nothing but bad luck with geba brand pumps, not just on certain models but everything, the bearing craps out. i did a 93 525 that still had the orignal pump (date code was 92) at 189k miles, we bought the car at auction overheating and the impeller was spinning inplace. what's this crap about all of the replacment pumps being plastic? everything i can get has iron impellers graf, geba and hepu, i've seen really shitty autozone bmw pumps with shiney brittle green plastic impellers
    perhaps you misunderstood me....i'm almost certain that the replacement pump that went into my car in the middle of BFE was plastic, unfortunately.....just saying that it isn't a 100% sure bet that you might not get a plastic one from somewhere (considering other places than bma).
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."

i've seen some people think the impeller on the graf is plastic because it's so nice and finished instead of rough and ugly

Quote Originally Posted by ryan roopnarine
    perhaps you misunderstood me....i'm almost certain that the replacement pump that went into my car in the middle of BFE was plastic, unfortunately.....just saying that it isn't a 100% sure bet that you might not get a plastic one from somewhere (considering other places than bma).
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast