GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: m60 into e34

Default m60 into e34

hi guys, i'm thinking of installing the m60 v8 engine and tranny into my e34, currently it has the m50 vanos engine , has anyone ever done this? if so what problems should i encounter if any, any info is appreciated
    thanx

Default When Winfred logs in he can tell you for sure... :)

Quote Originally Posted by tnt525i
    hi guys, i'm thinking of installing the m60 v8 engine and tranny into my e34, currently it has the m50 vanos engine , has anyone ever done this? if so what problems should i encounter if any, any info is appreciated
    thanx
    I know there are differences in the engine compartment components, so you might need a complete donor car to do it right. Suspension is different slightly too, I think the springs are stiffer to account for the increased weight.

The big question is... how much is your time worth? Why not just buy a 540? Or heck - search Autotrader for an E34M5 in your area! Chances are when you factor in the time and money for the swap, you can buy a faster car and come out ahead rather than building one.

- Robin
    Robin

72 Chevy K10
    01 E39 M5

Default Bad idea

The general rule is: if you start with a 6, you can upgrade with a 6; if you start with an 8, you can upgrade with an 8.

The V8 cars have the brake booster installed behind the left headlight. It would be a major PITA to rearrange the engine bay of a 6-cylinder E34 to accomodate an M60. Not worth the hassle, IMO since there are LOTS of M60-powered E34s for sale.

thanx
    Drew Z
    Formerly 540iT/6, now . . . 3, 5, 7

Default word!

Quote Originally Posted by DrewZ
    The general rule is: if you start with a 6, you can upgrade with a 6; if you start with an 8, you can upgrade with an 8.

The V8 cars have the brake booster installed behind the left headlight. It would be a major PITA to rearrange the engine bay of a 6-cylinder E34 to accomodate an M60. Not worth the hassle, IMO since there are LOTS of M60-powered E34s for sale.
    Bellevue WA
    90 535iM - not much stock remains. 3.7 liters, ported head, cammed, 3.73 diffy, M5 brakes, MAFed, yadda yadda yadda
    86 Porsche 951 - Track Toy

ditto

Quote Originally Posted by DrewZ

all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

dreww is right, you need a complete doner car for the brakes and probably a shitload of other stuff. for the cost that these cars are going for it would be stupid to spend the money converting them. enjoy what you have, clean it up and upgrade to what you want for a mere hundreds VS thousands. anyways if your rich you can buy my stuff, im not willing to sell so it would be a higher donation compared to the standard rusty non cared and replaced for part vehicle.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

now if somebody finds me a 6 speed v12 tranny for under a grand ill do a write up on how ill install a 92 750 motor (that i allready have at the yard) in my 535, and most of that info will transfer to doing a v8 swap like the brake booster relocate
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

LOL. So I could easily drop a v12 into my 530 if the engine is totalled as a result of my recent Oil pump falling off misadventure?

Cool

Reid
    Reid (530iA)

don't know if id say easily, easier would be more acurate

Quote Originally Posted by Reidal
    LOL. So I could easily drop a v12 into my 530 if the engine is totalled as a result of my recent Oil pump falling off misadventure?

Cool

Reid

sooooo....are you saying it would be easier to get a m60 and its gearbox in trinidad than it is to get the zf a5s to replace your transmission?

thanx
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast