GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: so whats the total low down on radar detectors?

Default so whats the total low down on radar detectors?

i dont even want to go into details for the fear of being banned but is valantine the proper animal to choose when my detector has retired? There is almost too much information on this and it is as confusing.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Valentine have a good name world wide.

With technology leaping forward so fast, a current detector can be out of date within weeks or months, but enforcement tend to stick to what they have for budget reasons so your money won't generally be wasted to quickly.

I'd ask around the car clubs and similar locally as to what works and what doesn't and go from there.

Before moving to Australia from New Zealand, I had a Mitsubishi GT3000 twin turbo so a detector was first thing on my shopping list. I bought a uniden 5000 from memory (about 5 years ago now) and it was current for laser, fixed camera and most speed guns at the time.

Illegal here in Australia so now it is just gathering dust in a cupboard somewhere.

Mount them as high as reasonably possible so they can have a good chance to see the laser/radar beam.

Also don't ignore the good old Mk 1 version detector (the eyeball) as it is often just as effective as the electronic version.

Oh, also there are some devices advertised as "jammers". Don't waste your money. They don't generally work.

Reid
    Reid (530iA)

I'm voting that detectors are a waste of money.

With the instant on technology and the speeds that get you pulled over, there isn't enough reaction time to bring a car down to the limit in the time you have.

I'll wait for the testimonials to put in their claims, but I think the MK 1 in combination with the NeuralNet (common sense) are the best determinants of whether you'll get a ticket or not.

Default All the hardcore's swear by the V1...

Just part of the overall armor but a good part.

A good traffic ticket attorney on retainer is also a very good plan.
    Bellevue WA
    90 535iM - not much stock remains. 3.7 liters, ported head, cammed, 3.73 diffy, M5 brakes, MAFed, yadda yadda yadda
    86 Porsche 951 - Track Toy

Default my $130.00 cobra saved me once so far.........

most of the cops in my area still use standard radar. it only has to save you once to pay for itself. i also notice i am more alert & drive slower due to the detector reminding me of the troopers.
    tim s.

Default Valentine One

I use a V1, and a compact pair of binoculars.
    Ramon
    1994 540iA Nikasil EAT Chip
    Tampa Bay, Florida USA

I have a V1 hardwired... and i don't speed often, but when i do i've been lucky. it has saved me a few times but usually i saw the cop and or knew the location and that it was a trap area. a couple times in NJ i have been driving to the shore and got nailed with instant-on. fortunately not speeding, or not enough to warrant reaction... it's hard to say if it is actually worth having a V1 or not.

I have been radar certified, and I know that a radar detector only works if the officer has it running, there is a rocker switch that we use to cut it off and on. Rarely do we run it all the time. You have to see the car speeding, then cut the radar on and get the clock. By the time a radar detector picks it up, it is too late, because the cops radar has already got the speed of the vehicle. Radar detectors only work if the cop runs his radar all the time, which we are taught not to do, so basically, radar detectors won't work if the officer is proficient with radar and is taught to use it right.

Quote Originally Posted by 50 fiver
    I have been radar certified, and I know that a radar detector only works if the officer has it running, there is a rocker switch that we use to cut it off and on. Rarely do we run it all the time. You have to see the car speeding, then cut the radar on and get the clock. By the time a radar detector picks it up, it is too late, because the cops radar has already got the speed of the vehicle. Radar detectors only work if the cop runs his radar all the time, which we are taught not to do, so basically, radar detectors won't work if the officer is proficient with radar and is taught to use it right.
    exactly. i find that a radar detector is more usefull for those speed sign zones that we have on I-95. I see them anyway, but at least if i am not paying attention or am in a rush and forget the zone, i hear about it 2 miles in advance from V1.

That's great info. Thanks! And all these years I thought my detector was broken.
    '94 540I A (149K miles on orig. Nik motor) & EAT enhanced

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast