GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: antifreeze question

Default antifreeze question

ive read all the opinions on using 'bmw' coolant. are there no other coolants that are compatible???

also, has anyone used any radiator stop-leak type products in their bmw?

as you can tell, i have a small leak that im going to be tracking down soon, coming from directly below the center of the engine near the cabin, directly below the fill area (havent looked too hard yet)

thanks for any assistance.

94 530ia

I recently had a radiator problem... in the end I replaced the radiator and used BMW coolant...

But in the mean time of tracking down the leak, I just used some better stuff from auto zone....

I say find your leak with the cheap stuff, (so say its only in there for a couple of weeks) then flush, fill with bmw coolant, and feel good about it for the next two years

I guess all those coolant hoses take a dive after a few years... so I'd start by checking with those.... Another thing I did was to use the garden hose to spray off affected areas, getting the parts nice and clean.... that might make it easier to clearly identify where the leak is comming from.

Also check www.bmwe34.net I'm not sure if there are any exact fixes for your problem, but in general its a great wealth of knowledge! and give www.bmaparts.com a look for purchases.

another quick point, for the m60s in the 530s, (maybe someone can back me up here) but I'm pretty sure that you don't/can't blead the coolant system. but I did put some coolant in and squeeze the upper hose to help move some coolant through.
    Former: 95-530iM

Current: 99 GMC Seirra 1500

Default ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh not the coolent thing again

all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

its 15 or so bucks from the stealer every 2 or so years..... just get the good stuff

end of discussion
    Former: 95-530iM

Current: 99 GMC Seirra 1500

no way will it be that painless

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipJCaputo
    its 15 or so bucks from the stealer every 2 or so years..... just get the good stuff

end of discussion
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Default how much do i need???

i believe there is prestone in my car(1995 5409i/a). i have the car one year & i have been thinking about switching to bmw coolant. how much do i need to buy to change it & is there anything special i need to know before i do it???
    thanks
    tim s.

50/50 is the generally accepted ratio, the owners manual will have quanity (should be around 3 gallons total) less coolent to water is ok if you don't live in the great white north, some people use distilled water instead of tap whatever floats your boat. green stuff and tap water work fine in my cars, but if dealer coolent and distilled water makes some feel better it certainly can't hurt for the few extra bucks

Quote Originally Posted by tim s
    i believe there is prestone in my car(1995 5409i/a). i have the car one year & i have been thinking about switching to bmw coolant. how much do i need to buy to change it & is there anything special i need to know before i do it???
    thanks
    tim s.

ok,
    ive decided to contribute an answer to my own post.

no-one has yet commented on the usage of radiator stop leak products???

culled from the internet:

BMW coolant (blue) follows the G48 spec

Prestone® Extended Life 5/150 Antifreeze/Coolant
    mentioned on their website to be BMW approved??

Zerex G 48 (G-05)
    approved by Merc. Benz and used at many bmw DEALERSHIPS in the US
    this coolant seems to be considered the most appropriate substitution, and is easier to get than going to the dealer

one website found that many independant shops use Peak (in the blue jug) as a suitable alternative

fyi, Volvo and Saab also use G48 spec coolant.

i am mostly concerned because my 530i has GREEN coolant in their from the previous owner, and i plan on getting it out soon

[Monty Python] "Pink! No....blue! AAAAAAaaarrrrghhhh!" [/Monty Python]

1995 540i/6 Sport Pkg w/E.A.T. chip and Nikasil injection Duey's Gallery